Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default New hard drive, not recognizing my wireless card

OK so I just installed a new hard drive in my computer and put windows XP home on it. I got it to replace a hard drive that I thought was broken (it's not, it was just one of my SATA connections on my motherboard). Anyways, I wanted to "activate and register" windows, and also to start updating windows and downloading the programs i want, but according to my computer I have no internet. I figured I would just use the disk that came with my wireless card, but I installed the utility and connection manager thing and nothing happens. It doesn't even open when I click on it, and I have absolutely no idea how to get onto the internet. Suggestions?

Kratochvil88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: New hard drive, not recognizing my wireless card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratochvil88 View Post
OK so I just installed a new hard drive in my computer and put windows XP home on it. I got it to replace a hard drive that I thought was broken (it's not, it was just one of my SATA connections on my motherboard). Anyways, I wanted to "activate and register" windows, and also to start updating windows and downloading the programs i want, but according to my computer I have no internet. I figured I would just use the disk that came with my wireless card, but I installed the utility and connection manager thing and nothing happens. It doesn't even open when I click on it, and I have absolutely no idea how to get onto the internet. Suggestions?
Windows should ask to use Windows update select no, then select have disk and point it to your disk drive.

Jacob.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob.. View Post
Windows should ask to use Windows update select no, then select have disk and point it to your disk drive.
Windows might do that if it recognized any new hardware, or gave me the option of finding a wireless network to connect to. It doesn't.

Also, the first thing I tried was just physically pulling out the network card, hoping that it would pull up the "found new hardware" dialog after I put it back in. That, obviously, didn't work.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Baseband Member

Quote:
Windows might do that if it recognized any new hardware, or gave me the option of finding a wireless network to connect to. It doesn't.

Also, the first thing I tried was just physically pulling out the network card, hoping that it would pull up the "found new hardware" dialog after I put it back in. That, obviously, didn't work.
Use the device manager
Old 08-17-2010, 01:30 AM   #5
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob.. View Post
Use the device manager
OK wow, I knew it would be something easy but now I feel really dumb.

I got the internet working...now I am having a problem with my video card, sound card, and monitor (monitor is the only one i have the disc for...but I can't even select the monitor from the display options, and I'm assuming that's because my video card driver isn't installed).

My question is, what's the easiest way to get all the drivers? If I just perform all the windows updates, will more of my devices become plug and play all by themselves? Should I just hook up the old hard drive, and copy the drivers onto a flash drive and then install them on the new drive? What's the best way to go about getting drivers for all these devices that are showing up as yellow question marks in my device manager?

Stupid questions, I know...God I need help.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

Quote:
OK wow, I knew it would be something easy but now I feel really dumb.

I got the internet working...now I am having a problem with my video card, sound card, and monitor (monitor is the only one i have the disc for...but I can't even select the monitor from the display options, and I'm assuming that's because my video card driver isn't installed).

My question is, what's the easiest way to get all the drivers? If I just perform all the windows updates, will more of my devices become plug and play all by themselves? Should I just hook up the old hard drive, and copy the drivers onto a flash drive and then install them on the new drive? What's the best way to go about getting drivers for all these devices that are showing up as yellow question marks in my device manager?

Stupid questions, I know...God I need help.
go to either the ATI or nvidia website and download the drivers for your GPU, always download drivers from the web (dont use the CDs) as generally the CDs have old versions of the drivers.
My Desktop: Intel Core i7-970@4.5GHz 1.39V Stable--ASUS P6X58D-E--6GB Supertalent Chrome (Elpida Hyper) 1800MHz 6-6-6-24--eVGA GTX 580--Intel 510 120GB--WD 2TB Caviar Black--Silverstone RV03-EK Supreme HF w/ Black Ice GTX 480--Koolance VID-NX580

My Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz--4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM--NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT-320GB hard drive
shozzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shozzking View Post
go to either the ATI or nvidia website and download the drivers for your GPU, always download drivers from the web (dont use the CDs) as generally the CDs have old versions of the drivers.
That, plus you might not find all off them with win updated but you'll get most of them