Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default New graphics card or Camera?

I Don't know what to get, I'm Baffled i have 300 to spend and my Ati HD 6450 Does the job, just.
Anyway I wan't a Fuji Film FinePix HS20 EXR as I'm an Avid Spotter, I also Need a new Graphics card Gtx560 can anyone help me choose ?

Old 12-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: New graphics card or Camera?

There's no contest, the 560 would lay waste to your 6450.

GeForce GTX 560 vs Radeon HD 6450 (OEM) 1GB – Performance Comparison Benchmarks @ Hardware Compare

Benchmark Results: Lost Planet 2 : The Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Review: Take Off Your Ti

Radeon HD 6450 review

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Thanks I still don't know which to get though, it will come down to personal preference
Old 12-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Omnicide now.

Quote:
Fuji Film FinePix HS20
Do not buy this. The sensor is pretty much microscopic. It'll be extremely difficult to get any usable tele pictures with it.

300 quid should be able to get you a very good SLR kit, as long as you don't object to used gear. Film will get you better IQ, but I doubt you want that, so here's my recommendation:

Camera: Nikon D50 Digital SLR Camera Body, Battery & Charger Kit. Free UK Postage. (0018208910229) | eBay
Tele lens:Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG MACRO Lens Nikon fit(built-in focus motors) | eBay
Normal lens: NEW Nikon Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Lens + Nikon Worldwide Warranty (018208021581) | eBay

Total cost is 299.60. This set will get you some excellent pictures. Sure, it doesn't have as many pixels as some of the newer stuff, but that really is not important unless you're printing HUGE or doing heavy crops (which you shouldn't with these lenses). Also, it gives you an upgradable system, so you can add whatever lenses/cameras you want later on.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
Baseband Member

Quote:
Total cost is 299.60. This set will get you some excellent pictures. Sure, it doesn't have as many pixels as some of the newer stuff, but that really is not important unless you're printing HUGE or doing heavy crops (which you shouldn't with these lenses). Also, it gives you an upgradable system, so you can add whatever lenses/cameras you want later on.
Well my First thought was the Sony Hx100v, about 3 weeks ago it Was only 270 on Amazon and Recently I've seen prices go up as far as 380 might just wait for the January Sales go to Jessops and See what they Can offer Me, Thanks for your Advice Mate.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Omnicide now.

The Hx100v is not any better, nor is any "superzoom." The only way they can fit such an extreme zoom range is because the sensor crop factor is extremely high. The optics are also going to be very subpar in anything with such a range. And you can forget about things like macro, portraits, shallow DOF effects, etc.

At 300, you're not going to get anything new that's any good. Either buy used SLR gear or save more money. 600-700 will get you a new entry-level body and 2 lenses. Maybe a bit less if you shop around.

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote