New GPU issues

Szat

Daemon Poster
Hi Everyone, been a long time since I last posted. Hope you guys have some advice for me. After four+ years since building the system in my signature my 8800GT was starting to show it's age. I decided to upgrade my GPU. After doing some research and checking my wallet, I went with the 560 GTX.

I got it today from Newegg and installed the newest drivers. My Windows Experience index for graphics went from 6.8 to 7.6! With that being said, I am still getting the same frame-rate in all my games! Any idea why this card isn't blowing my mind right now?

Thanks for the help! I'm stumped!

I remember you, good to see you back.

Two simple things before I go afk for a few days: Did you do a clean driver install or just upgrade? And is your PSU still the 650 that's in your sig? My gut is screaming driver or power issue so I'd like to knock those out.

Haha, I remember you too!

I did do a completely clean install. The drivers that came with the GPU had to be over a year old so I did a second completely clean install with the newest drivers! I've been doing some more research and it seems a lot of people are having the same problems as me with similar or superior systems. Looks like it is a driver issue. Hopefully Nvidia will be resolving this soon!

I don't think I'm lacking power. The specs said minimum 450w for this GPU so I thought I was fine. Max power for card is 150w.

Might sound weird, but does my CPU being 5% overclocked matter at all? I only ask because on a forum I was reading someone said make sure the CPU is stock clocked before installing the drivers.

EDIT: Bed-time be back tomorrow! Night!

Last edited:
(adding my 2 cents in here) could it be bottle necking, but i dont think so tho. maybe try reading all the specs for the 560 to run at, cause one wrong thing and the system could be lagging behind. Also (again sorry) some games adjust your settings depending on your hardware, maybe it altered it.

ref=as_li_tf_tl

What sort of FPS were you getting before?

Best example:
Diablo 3, 8800GT: 1680x1050 "letter-boxed", physics and textures HIGH, shadows MEDIUM, clutter LOW, V-sync ON, AA ON. 50-60 fps drops to 20 when there are a lot of monsters and spells going off.

Diablo 3, GTX 560: 1680x1050 "letter-boxed", physics and textures HIGH, shadows MEDIUM, clutter MEDIUM, V-sync ON, AA ON. 50-60 fps drops to 12 whenever it feels like and when there are a lot of monsters and spells going off.

Essentially the same settings, but with decrease in performance.
However, some games run a lot better with the GTX 560. Tom Clancy's HAWX is flawless on Direct X 10 w/ highest settings! It is unplayable with low DX10 settings with the 8800GT.

I'm not sure if Diablo 3 is still having server issues. I heard things are a lot more stable now on the US side. From a gaming point of view, this is not a bandwidth intensive game, but its dependency on server stability ... I am not so sure.

I played Diablo 3 in CB stage with GTX 460 and i5-760 (and less RAM and power), and was able to stay on 60 FPS. (This is very different from live, but just as a comparison for a very light server load setting.)

Have you tried playing at insane hours? What sort of FPS did you get?

How are things with V-sync switched off?

Last edited:
It's not the servers it's the drivers. Check out Nvidia's GeForce forums and go to the 500 series. Every thread is a complaint!

You're telling me. I've been waiting to upgrade my gpu for 4.5 years. I bought it mainly because I'm going to be playing Guild Wars 2 and after playing the beta stress test my 8800GT wasn't cutting it. I just hope the problem gets fixed soon. Next beta is this weekend so I'll see how it runs on Friday.

Back
Top Bottom