New Gaming Laptop ASUS or MSI

lordtoki

Beta member
Hi guys. I was looking to buy a new gaming laptop from getthatpc.com but I don't know which one should I buy. My choices are the Asus G55VW-DS71 or the MSI GE70 0ND-033US. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.:)

Thanks all.

The Asus as it has more reviews, and more RAM. Any particular reason why you're getting it from there (just curious)?
Also would building it yourself be out of the question?

Thanks for the reply. I clicked on a banner and it took me to the site. Building it myself seems to be more expensive:eek: especially since I want a notebook.

If I get the time tomorrow (I'm just off to sleep atm) I'll have a look around as I'm sure there will be something better and/or cheaper out there

Reviews doesn't say anything. Lots of people has computers from Apple with lots of trouble. They do not all write a review.

Anyway, MSI is a great brand. Sounds not, but still is. A lot of people don't know MSI made cheap computer years ago. Budget-pc's and laptops. So, exactly they always made low-pricing pc's but with good quaility inside. Nowadays, they make still cheap laptops & pc's but with those high quality components. So if there are people are thinking that MSI sucks or is a unknown brand. Well, don't think that way! :) Good brand just like asus.

If I should give an advice. If you care about:

Design = MSI ( Business-look ) || Asus (Glitter&Glamour)

Processor = I didn't look up. For a gaming laptop, I recommend 'at least' an i5. The processor is only important during startup computer + startup gaming. During the game its NOT important.

Graphic Card = I recommend an Nvidia. If you have an AMD the chance is (much) bigger you get trouble with the drivers. Dont believe me? I bought a laptop with an AMD 6750M 7 months ago. I had already trouble with the drivers and had to bring my laptop to the store to fix it.

Guess you wanna know with one you should need from Nvidia in this case. GT555m = medium. If you wanna play games on high quality you much go for a GTX.

NOTE* = Very important, the location of the graphic card. Make sure its not under the ASWD-keys. Your fingers will burn away. So inform about this at the developer or store.

RAM = Windows 7 takes 1.5GB RAM already. So if you have 4GB ( example ). You can use 2.5GB. So if you want to play normal games without high performance. Take at least 6GB RAM.

I guess you wanna play 'big' games. At least 8GB. So sure. Better performane.

Dimensions = At least 1600x900.

Battery = An 6-cell is standard. Prefer 8-cell. ( lithium* )

Keyboard = Recommend backlit, its so great. If you don't care about it, doesn't matter.

Hopefully I helped you with this information. I didn't look up which components both laptops have, but I am sure this information is usefull by making your choice!

:thumb:

( I am Dutch, dont blame for possible bad English #lawl )

Last edited:
If you are going to buy an MSI GT70 0NE I suggest buying it from one of the custom builders/resellers authorized by MSI.
GentechPC
XOTICPC
PowerNotebooks

Ken ,the owner of Gentech is a regular poster on the MSI part of notebookreview.com

There's a lot of info in the GT70 threads

I've had my MSI GT780DX for almost a year now with no issues at all.

I have 2x240GB SSDs in raid0 in the internal SATA III bays plus a Vertex 2 and 3MI in caddys for switchable use in the optical drive bay.

I prefer Asus over MSI. I have found better stabilty and less likely to take a dump...

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer Asus over MSI. I have found better stabilty and less likely to take a dump...

That's funny!

I've have the opposite opinion.

Asus is all about marketing their Quiet/Cool notebooks so they won't put a graphics card with high TDP that rquires fan that rev higher(more noise).

Where's the Asus gaming model with a GTX680M or 7970M?

MSI has the GT70/GT60 0NE with the NVIDIA GTX680M and the GX60 with the AMD 7970M.

I agree that gaming is best on a properly built desktop.

Nothing worse than buyers remorse;do your homework.

Back
Top Bottom