Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Guru

Default New computer/want opinions

I just sold my desktop for 250 and bought my dad's laptop for 250. Now I'm upgrading the RAM and network.

Acer Aspire 9500 Specs~
-ATI Mobility Radeon X700 (1440x900)
-G. Skill 2GB PC2 4200 533mhz (upgraded)
-Intel Centrino 1.73GHz
-50GB x 2 HDDs
-Windows XP Pro (As soon as my dad's new laptop arrives)
-17" Screen

I'm buying the RAM, a networking card, mouse, and a case. All for about $120. So the laptop will come total for $370. I thought it was a great temporary buy (until I start working and have my own money to spend as much as I want). What do you guys think? Any other improvements I need to make? The RAM is maxed out at 2GB btw.

JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy
Default Re: New computer/want opinions

Those are actually some pretty good specs for that.

It would probably be better if you could find a bigger hard drive if you need more than 100 gb, and a faster processor definitely wouldn't hurt.

My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Guru

No see. This is my dad's laptop. He bought it 2 years ago it's in great conditions. He spent $1300 on it. I don't think I'll be needing much faster components as I said this is temporary (1 year or something). 100GB will do me fine.

I just placed an order on newegg for the G. Skill RAM (2GB), Netgear rangeMax 240 wireless, and a optical, wired logitech mouse. All for about $85. So overall, the laptop cost me $335.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy

Hmm, well, alright. That is actually a pretty good lappy. I'm just so used to spec-ing things out for Vista and/ or gaming machines now, it's not even funny.
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Guru

Lol. Yeah. I almost got a brand new one. The thing was that it was not supposed to be made for gaming because I told my dad I wouldn't game. But I was trying to slip some gaming specs past him and he noticed. He works with VR, so I bet he knew what I was doing all the way. Since I'm only going to be playing counter strike and warcraft 3, maybe some runescape (yea, its crappy I know. But I really like that it is run on a web broser [doesn't matter now that I have a lappy] and I like what they did with the game. Except the new trading regulations, makes it so I can't get the money I gave to my friend back. Well, personal opinion, I like the game). Anyways, sorry for the long parenthesis, but yeah. I won't be playing anything high-end like COD4 or Crysis.