Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2006, 10:27 PM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16
Default New Computer Question

Ok well I have a couple of questions before I buy a new computer I am planning on buying a Gateway GT5012 I am thinking of buying it off of this site: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...atid=#MoreInfo

then I went to do some more research and I found the same computer on this link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=541966

Well I had a couple of questions when I reviewed the specs of this computer like:
1. Intel Pentium D processor 820 - dual core, 64-bit, & 2.8 GHz, now because it's a pentium D that means theres dual processors right? so 2.8 GHz times 2, is there much of an advantage over just a Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz? What is the 820 mean and what are the advantages?

2. RAM: 1GB of DDR2 533MHz SDRAM (expandable to 4GB), now if i were to add more RAM I need to buy DDR2 RAM only right?

3. 2MB of L2 Cache, what does the cache do and how does it help in performance? Is 2mb enough?

4. 800MHz FSB, I know that FSB stands for: Front Side Bus but how does this help and how much should I look for?

Well I was looking at the other computers and I noticed almost the same Gateway for $100 CAD more, the only differences are that the processor is the same as in the previous but it also comes with the intel 64-Bit With Viiv. What is Viiv and will it make a big difference performance wise? How will it help and is it worth the extra money? In addition to this the other computer also comes with 2000Mhz FBS? Do you think this is worth the extra money and will they have any performance upgrade?
__________________

tk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:45 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
The Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 616
Default Re: New Computer Question

I dont belive each core is at 2.6ghz each. It is the clock speed of the processor in general. I think you could build the same exact thing for cheaper but idk.
__________________

__________________
playing World of Warcraft
find me on Anetheron, Delray, Troll Hunter
The Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:51 PM   #3
Golden Master
 
ArrizX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,073
Send a message via MSN to ArrizX
Default Re: New Computer Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk26
1. Intel Pentium D processor 820 - dual core, 64-bit, & 2.8 GHz, now because it's a pentium D that means theres dual processors right? so 2.8 GHz times 2, is there much of an advantage over just a Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz? What is the 820 mean and what are the advantages?
Ok, first off all, whats this going to be used for. I mean hell, he might not even need that. Maybe he just needs like a Pent 4 3.0ghz with HT, like I have. I mean sure that 820 will be fine for mulittasking, but gaming is a different story. Unless its fear. Hence its nice to have, but not always needed.

Quote:
2. RAM: 1GB of DDR2 533MHz SDRAM (expandable to 4GB), now if i were to add more RAM I need to buy DDR2 RAM only right?
1gb is good, but, 2gb, and then windows stops using virtual memory. So if you can get 2gb of it. And yes, only ddr2.

Quote:
3. 2MB of L2 Cache, what does the cache do and how does it help in performance? Is 2mb enough?
I dont know..

Quote:
4. 800MHz FSB, I know that FSB stands for: Front Side Bus but how does this help and how much should I look for?
That much is standard, however there are some Amd's with 1ghz FSB

Quote:
Well I was looking at the other computers and I noticed almost the same Gateway for $100 CAD more, the only differences are that the processor is the same as in the previous but it also comes with the intel 64-Bit With Viiv. What is Viiv and will it make a big difference performance wise? How will it help and is it worth the extra money? In addition to this the other computer also comes with 2000Mhz FBS? Do you think this is worth the extra money and will they have any performance upgrade?
Viiv is facy talk for something that you dont need. I dont remember exactly, but it rhymes with 5, so they turned it into this big thing. But i remember someone saying here that it was never needed. But dont take that advice from me.
__________________
. ()()()()
./l ,[_\_\ ],
l---L ()lllllll()-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:54 PM   #4
Golden Master
 
ArrizX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,073
Send a message via MSN to ArrizX
Default Re: New Computer Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Power
I dont belive each core is at 2.6ghz each. It is the clock speed of the processor in general. I think you could build the same exact thing for cheaper but idk.
No, no.. im not sure how it works, but its not 5.2ghz processor. Uh.. did i even do that math right, lol? oh well who cares.. haha..
__________________
. ()()()()
./l ,[_\_\ ],
l---L ()lllllll()-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
BSOD
 
JustinMcG67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,519
Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67
Default Re: New Computer Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX_MuziK
No, no.. im not sure how it works, but its not 5.2ghz processor. Uh.. did i even do that math right, lol? oh well who cares.. haha..
Ummm 2.8 + 2.8 is not 5.2. It's 5.6GHz. haha.
JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:58 PM   #6
Golden Master
 
ArrizX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,073
Send a message via MSN to ArrizX
Default Re: New Computer Question

Well at least i got the 5 right!
__________________
. ()()()()
./l ,[_\_\ ],
l---L ()lllllll()-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:01 PM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
ownage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,404
Default Re: New Computer Question

okay, so its two independant cores running at 2.8GHz each. So basically you have to cpus running. The FSB is how fast the cpu talks to the northbridge (memory controller). The reason AMD has a 1Ghz FSB because it has an on die memory controller, thus capable of high speeds. The 820 is not a shabby processor at all, but get a 920 instead.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16
Default Re: New Computer Question

ok well i am planning on using this for very general purposes like, word documents, internet, some gaming like Counter Strike and stuff, also maybe some editing programs like Photoshop, do you think that this PC will do all of these applications smoothly and relativly fast?
__________________

tk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0