So, is there no big performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3?
For the Core 2s, no there is not, as the FSB will bottleneck as possible increase in bandwidth that DDR3 provides.
For Phenoms, that remains to be seen as the DDR3 boards will be out this month.
For i7s, there are no DDR3 boards anyway so you've got no choice
Anybody? I'm still wondering on the chipset and memory questions, plus second opinions on the benefits of i7 vs. Core 2 Quad vs. Phantom II would be much appreciated.
- Highest performing for media editing and multi threaded apps.
- Loses it's advantage in games and isn't much faster, if at all than PII and C2Q.
- Good overclocking performance, although limited to 130W which is annoying.
- DDR3 required which means spending $150 on memory.
- Most expensive of the bunch, X58 boards are $200+
- No DDR3 required, and you can get 4GB of DDR2 1066 for just $50
- Decent all round performance, the Q9550 is around about equal to the Phenom II 940 in games.
- P45 boards are affordable and offer good features.
- Great overclocking capabilities, 4GHz on air cooling.
- Good performance in games which seems to be Phenom's strong point. Lags behind the i7s for media editing etc.
- excellent DDR2 boards available in the form of the 790GX for $100.