New computer locking up at startup

Kalgatha

Fully Optimized
Mk so I built this computer a month or two ago (in sig) its worked great so far... running vista 64 on it and hadn't had anyproblems till the switch, so maybe its just a shady OS. but ne wai, so when i start up my computer it will randomly lock everything up. it will usually load all the programs, but shortly after it locks up. nothing responds. so i have to hard restart. if i boot in safe mode then it works just fine. but sometimes i have to restart 5-6 times to get a good boot to where it won't freeze up on me. I've noticed that it seems to lock up when my wireless network connects and i get internet, most of the time thats when it happens. but not everytime. i've scanned using spybot and norton, i've run memtest from knoppix. i've run check disk and the vista memtest. nothing shows any errors. so is there any as to what my problem could be?

EDIT: also i have not done any overclocking.

Do you have everything set manually in BIOS? If you don't, you should. That's a good place to start.

BTW, edit your signature down to a maximum of 5 lines please. :D

Sounds like a dodgy driver to me. I'd recommend going through uninstalling them 1 by 1 (making sure you've got a backup of them!) until the problem stops. When it does, you've found your culprit!

Mk so I built this computer a month or two ago (in sig) its worked great so far... running vista 64 on it and hadn't had anyproblems till the switch, so maybe its just a shady OS. but ne wai, so when i start up my computer it will randomly lock everything up. it will usually load all the programs, but shortly after it locks up. nothing responds. so i have to hard restart. if i boot in safe mode then it works just fine. but sometimes i have to restart 5-6 times to get a good boot to where it won't freeze up on me. I've noticed that it seems to lock up when my wireless network connects and i get internet, most of the time thats when it happens. but not everytime. i've scanned using spybot and norton, i've run memtest from knoppix. i've run check disk and the vista memtest. nothing shows any errors. so is there any as to what my problem could be?

EDIT: also i have not done any overclocking.

Seems you tried alot but what about checking event viewer ... has helped me lots of times just note wat time you boot up hope it crashes then have a looksey in event viewer when you get a good boot...

k so its been awhile since i posted about this problem, I thought i had it solved but turns out no. I did the event viewer and reinstalled drivers for a few things, didn't work. so i just went ahead and reformatted b/c its new enough i didn't have much on here ne wai and it was just easier. well the problem is still here. now today our internet service was down. and my computer booted up and ran fine, but the minute we got internet back my computer froze up. but it works fine in safe mode with networking. idk what to think now.

yeah, also my internet is from a wireless card. now that i think about it, this all started happening when i plugged in my sound for the front of my computer case. the plug-in was REALLY tight against the wireless card...do you think that might have caused some kind of problem? if so why would it work in safemode and freeze when i had an internet connection?

I'd double check the wireless card. Take it out and put it back in. Make sure the sound port isn't pushing on it. Reload the driver for the wireless card. It might be using a generic driver in safe mode and in normal mode it might be loading a faulty driver. Also you could try taking it out, restarting in normal mode and see what happens. If it doesn't freeze, uninstall the driver, turn the pc off, put the card in and restart. Then see if Windows will find the card and if it has a driver for it. If not, go to the card manufacturer's website and download the lastest one from there.

Back
Top Bottom