New computer issues....

moondog67

Beta member
hi guys, i recently upgraded my PC and im having a few difficulties, wondered if you could share your views.

Core 2 duo quad q6600 GO
Radeon 2600xt
2gb ddr2 800mhz ram
sata 250gb HD
IDE 160 GB HD
ASUS mobo

Thats the basic Core, sorry i cant be more tech specific ( im a n00b).

Basicly i had a Thermaltake 470 tru power PSU, i thought this would easily, be enough, but after a few boots, all i got was a short buzz noise from the psu, and then nothing. I put my old 400w PSU in it, and it seems to run a bit better, although it hangs on boot occasionally. Whats PSU should i be using for this system?

Also im running windows XP home sp2, when i open the task manager i see the 4 cores under processes, and it seems to me that one core is taking all the load, even when encoding video etc, The others are almost idle. Should i still be using XP with a quad core pc?

Also please feel free to add any handy tips i could use with this kind of system. I know im aksing alot, but i hope you can help me in some way.

Many thanks

Moondog

While a good 500w is enough for your current system i would go for 600+.

This will give some head room for good overclocking and can hande a better graphics card should you upgrade, without any problems.

This is of course if the power supply is of a good quaility. Cheap generic power supplies arent any good. I use seasonic myself (nice and quiet).

Obviously if you have SLI in mind for any near future upgrade, now would be the time to get a much higher wattage power supply.

Back
Top Bottom