New computer help?

charq

Beta member
Hello!
I am new here.. and know absolutely nothing about computers. To be honest, I don't have the will to learn too much except for a few simple details to make sure I am buying what I want. I need a new laptop, and wanted to know if someone on here can take my needs and turn them into some suggestions for a new laptop.

I am using a Toshiba laptop(toshiba p200-mr6) from 5 years ago, and it's starting to really cramp me up. I'm in school, and this 17 inch monster also makes the absolute worst engine-type noises while on, which is annoying when I am trying to get work done in a silent library. Also, battery seems to drain in 5 minutes, so it has to be constantly plugged in. So I need something that is portable (although not too small, maybe ~15 or 16 inches and thin, and doesn't make these noises (I have tried to clean the fan with no luck).

Second issue is space. I don't have much on my computer, and what I did have, I basically had to delete because my computer had no room left and was crashing constantly. I bought an external hard drive, but for portability sake, it was definitely a bad investment. Some of the only stuff I have on my computer is my music- Itunes with 11,000 songs. Yes, I know it's a lot, and I want to make sure my new computer can hold all of these without me having to keep using my external hard drive.

Lastly, I am in school for architecture, and with this program comes a list of computer programs I need to be able to run:
-graphic/digital image processing (e.g., Photoshop)
-layout applications (e.g., InDesign, Illustrator)
-2D drawing (e.g., AutoCAD, Vectorworks)
-3D modeling (e.g., FormZ, Maya)

Right now, my computer can barely run a Youtube video at 260p without freezing up and crashing, and running more than one program at once causes everything to sloooooow down, and those engine noises turn into nuclear explosion noises. I tried using photoshop, but my computer couldn't even open it... So, I need to be able to run these programs without destroying my computer.
If it's any help, which I don't know if it is, I'm using Windows Vista and Opera.

So.. if you're TL;DR, my needs are:
-Laptop
-Portability (maybe ~15 or 16 inches and thin)
-No crazy noises
-A lot of memory (sorry for the lack of a better word)
-Ability to run more than one program at once without having a breakdown
-Anything else that may seem like a good idea regarding computer capabilities right now?
-Also! I think most already do, but a Webcam since I go to school across the country from where I lived before, and Skype a lot (don't even get me started on the quality of Skype on my computer).

Price range.. let's say tops at $1000, but I would love something cheaper.
Thanks a billion if you can help me out :)

Last edited:
What power plan do you have it on, You may have it on a setting that like high performance which will chew through your battery. Can you please list your specifications..

What power plan do you have it on, You may have it on a setting that like high performance which will chew through your battery. Can you please list your specifications..

Where can I find my specifications?
I know I am on the "balanced" power saver, it says it's a balance of power and battery life.
Uhhh, just snooping around my computer, here is what I can find. None of this means anything to me, so let me know if there is something else I should find/provide:
Processor- Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5450 @1.66GHz 1.67GHz
Ram- 2038 MB
System Type: 32-bit operating system

Yup, that's the one!
I have only ever had experience using this Toshiba, so I'm not really pro/con for any other brands.

Thanks for the suggestion :)
Any specific models that may fill what I am looking for, that you know of?

If you are willing I would look at ASUS which is really good..

ASUS make nice stuff, like this >

05.png

Back
Top Bottom