New computer help!

wizard200104

Beta member
So I am looking into BUILDING a new computer. I'm looking at a desktop that can handle a lot of today's games with ease and is not too expensive. Some games I would like to handle would be Battlefield 3, Minecraft, Guild Wars 2 (when it comes out) and others.
I'm not the best techie around but if anyone is willing to put down a list of items that i would need to build this desktop, I'll look into the pieces and find them. Please and thanks

well theirs someone round here is more uptodate then me about computers as my time building them and keeping up to day was a good 5years, since theirs lots of new things out since then i'm out of date.. altho my best advice is to type in the game in google and type in requirements, it will tell you what graphics card and cpu is needed, go for abit more advanced then their lowest one.. as of the future the graphics card will be able to handle the performance until a new time to comes to rebuild another.. a good price for them games to play you're looking at around 400pound includes the flatscreen

Hi there Wizard,

Give us a budget / Your location, and any other things..

- Do you need Operating System, Monitor(s)?, any other peripherals etc etc
- Are you fussed between AMD, or Intel

Let us know

Luke: I'm in Chicago and I have a budget from around $1000-$1500. Operating system wise, I'm thinking of getting Windows 7 but debating between 32-bit and 64-bit. And I'm still debating on my specs to choose between AMD and Intel. And I'm set with a monitor from my old computer but I might like one that can take the audio and video plugs if I wanted to play Xbox on the same monitor

There's no debate, don't even CONSIDER 32 bit. 64 bit is the only way going forward, especially if you want your PC to be "forward looking".

For the price range you're thinking of, there's a lot you can do. I'm going to err on the side of Intel for my recommendation because the i5's really smack around the equivalent CPUs from AMD right now.

This can be tweaked to hit your price points, like dropping the SSD and keeping just a standard hard drive, but since you said you wanted to go 5 years out, I didn't skimp, and before shipping the price is $1401.

Case:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Gaming Series GS700 700W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TZ68A+RCH LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

Memory:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

Video Card:
Newegg.com - EVGA 012-P3-1571-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Hard Drive:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SSD:
Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

DVDRW:
Newegg.com - ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems

in my eyes that pretty good, only other thing i would add ontop of that, is just an aftermarket cpu cooler

No reason for an aftermarket CPU cooler. Unless you intend to overclock, the stock units, especially from Intel, are plenty.

i got the impresstion that with the 2500k thats what the plan was to be ? otherwise the k series would be really be necessary

Doesn't mean that someone would HAVE to buy an aftermarket cooler for the chip right out the gate. There are tons of folks online who overclock the chip on the stock cooler and have no issues with the chip. Folks need to stop being so preprogrammed. :p

Back
Top Bottom