new computer has problem

v_xxx_v

Baseband Member
Hi everyone,

I got my computer setup (brand new), but i have a problem with 2 SATA drivers (western digital). When i plug 2 drives to mother board, it sees only 1 drives. But when i plug one , then it don't see any drive in there. Do i need to set the jumper ? please advice. thanks.

never used sata either but if its like ATA u need to set one as master and one as slave if theyre both on the same controller.

If they are connected to the mobo then, theres no need to set master/slave. It seems like one might be broke, have ya tried them both individually. If ya have then check the cables individually. Check ya drivers aswell.

Sata drives dont have jumpers for master and slave

most people plug the drive they want as your primary into sata 0 or sata 1 whatever one you have (boards differ) then sata 1 or 2 for the second drive, and so on and so forth.

what type of hard drives do you have

and what drive does it usally pick up?

Serial ATA hdds do not require jumper settings when installing. Try replacing the cable or running a diagnostic on the drives. western digital is my preferred manufacturer. Go to their website (www.westerndigital.com) and check out the support tab. They should direct you to their diagnostic tools.

Now, if you are having trouble with the drives showing up at POST, then you may have a bad cable, sata controller(motherboard) or bad drive. If they DO show at POST and you have trouble seeing them in windows then you may need to initialize the drive.

TO INITIALIZE:
Right click "my computer"-> manage-> drive managment. This should pop up a window automagically for the initialization wizard. if not, there should be a list of drives there and one should indicate that the drive is either uninitialized, not partitioned, or may be initialized as a dynamic disk. If it's labled as a dynamic disk, right click the grey square in the bottom right hand portion of the window and click "convert to Basic Disk" this will allow you to re-partition it properly.

didnt know that about sata and jumpers, thanx :)

one thing i did read somewhere is that sata cables r prone to breaking, not sure how true this is, but like everyone else said try a different cable.

Anubis1980 said:
didnt know that about sata and jumpers, thanx :)

one thing i did read somewhere is that sata cables r prone to breaking, not sure how true this is, but like everyone else said try a different cable.

Ive never had one break on me, but i have had one come loose so ya lose ya connection to the drive, they are well known for this.

Back
Top Bottom