New computer freezing probs.

Amorssang1

BSOD
So I just recently built this computer....

Windows XP Pro Service pack 2
MSI K8N-Neo4 Motherboard
AMD64 3000+
1gb corsair RAM
MSI 6600GT PCIE
Audigy 2 soundcard
550w psu
80gb HD

So I got it all up and running with only a few minor hitches. Once I could get online I installed all the necissary updates and drivers for both my video card and motherboard + anything else that required updates. I'm running my 6600gt on the 77.2 drivers and my mobo chipset is running the 6.66 drivers... I did use driver cleaner and made sure it was all installed properly (but I suppose there's that point where it is out of your hands).

I wanted to test out the system so I installed BF1942 (ya ya, I'll get the new one soon) and as soon as I open it up it freezes..ok, so i power off/on the comp and try again. Same thing. Then I install UT2K4 and it freezes right at the menu screen just like bf. I installed a 3rd game , XIII. To my suprise it let me play once for quite a while but then when I went to start it up again the next day it froze. I've tried quite a few times since then but to no avail. I've tried re-installing all the drivers and such 3 times and nothing ever worked.
Then, just a couple of hours ago I installed Prince of Persia and it ran great, no problems. Ran it again, and again and I had no hitches at all.

My cpu is running a little hot, usally 40c at idle and when I was able to play XIII ONCE I saw that my cpu got to about 50.. My gpu is around 50c at idle and I don't know what it was when I was playing XIII.

My case is uh...sorduve just the shell...no fancy stuff so It's full of holes for ventilation. a total of 4 fans in the front, 2 in back, 2 on the side, one on cpu, and chipset.

I've ran the the cpu and ram stress testers and it seemed ok. I don't think there's one you can run for the gpu, if there is then I'd like to know.

I suspect it's the gpu giving me the problems. Is anyone else having difficulties like this using the 6600GT or any other card for that matter?. I can't seem to figure this out, I'd really appreciate some help on this if anyone can give any.

-Thanks, Triton.

btw, I had previously run all those games (but PoP) before I installed the new drivers and I had the same problem.

well since you just reintaled windows it won't kill you to do it again and see if ther same thing happens.

I reinstalled windows and tried 4 different drivers. None of them worked. It's odd, I noticed all full games do not work but any demos I install play fine. For example, I downloaded the BF2 demo and it runs great. My gpu pack game with full version games (which don't run) and a cd with a bunch of demos which all run with no problems...does this make sense? anyone else have any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom