Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Solid State Member
Unhappy New comp or upgrade?

hello my name is: patrikas2.

i have a really crappy(at least compared with today's computers) computer that can run half life 2 on lowest settings with almost no lag. my comp is refurbished and my graphics card stopped working and i need to buy a new one. only problem is, all i have is 3PCI slots and 1AGP slot, and my compaq power supply can only handle 240W. yesterday i bought a case, power supply, and graphics card, i plug it all in, and the thing does not work. here are the parts i bought:

Thermaltake V3 Black SECC- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133094
COOLMAX V-600 Power Supply- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-079-_-Product
XFX Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR2 AGP 8X- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-433-_-Product

i already have two SATA drives, a CD drive, RAM, etc. i am really inexperienced as i took apart my comp for the first time a week ago and would like some suggestions. what parts should i buy if i were to make a new comp?

patrikas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Golden Master
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: New comp or upgrade?

Well, lets see if we can get your computer going for you again.

What do you mean by it "does not work", can you explain a little more about it? Just looking real quick, the power supply you bought is 24pin, your old 240watt seems pretty old so I'm betting it was a 20pin so that could be one reason.

When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Solid State Member
Default Re: New comp or upgrade?

yes you are right, the power supply is 24 pin but 4 of the pins detach. the motherboard has one 20pin slot but there is another 4 pin slot by the processor about 15cm away. the new case has too many wires for my motherboard; i can't plug all of them in even if i wanted to. i tried plugging the old case's wires to the mobo and when i turn it on, a red light blinks. i think the best option would be to buy a new mobo, but i don't know what else needs to be replaced if i would do that.
patrikas2 is offline   Reply With Quote