New comp, Every app closes eventually?

surfgye

Solid State Member
Well, first time posting on here, searched around a bit but found nothing. Heres my problem.

I recently put a computer together because my old one was falling apart. i picked up a matsonic motherboard with a 1.5ghz P4 i found for really cheap. One stick of 512MB PC3200 400Mhz DDR RAM, Western Digital 80gig hd, ATI radeon 9550 256mb ddr AGP graphics card, and a seal 32 bit sound card, which uses a c-media driver, which windows said doesnt pass the "logo" test or something? basically having ot do with compatabilty.

Anyways, All my programs, IE 6, winamp, any games, etc, will just shutdown after using for a while. Games tend to shutdown faster than IE and Winamp, but basically, it acts like there is not enough memory. IE: it takes longer for program to end on me after a reboot, and games end almost as soon as i start playing.

I also get blue stop error screens from time to time. My last one didnt say anything but a stop error code thing, (not to technical as you can read). But the one before that said PNF_List_corrupt. Ive also had ones that said Page_File_not_found.

I also just added the 80 gig HD, since the only peice i reused was a 30 gig maxtor from my ancient comp, and i thought it was bad. Since i have upgraded, the problems arent as frequent, and my available memory when no apps are running went from around 220mb to 350mb. I beleive this would be whats allowing program to run a little longer.

I beleive it is a memory problem, but what can i do. Any help is appreciated, been dealing with this for a few months now.

OH, i upgraded to WINxp home with the service pack 2. when i did the rebuild. Im using a 450watt power supply too, with 3 case fans running, fan on teh processor, and two disc drives, one harddrive, no floppy. THanx, danny.

Your PSU is causing this. The PC is trying to get enough power to go to it, but it is not receiving enough from the PSU to run things properly. What you need to do is upgrade to a 500watt PSU, or change out the PSU. Even if there is enough power, the capacitor inside the PSU might be faulty or dying, therefore, it slowly looses its charge after being on for a while.

OR

This is a P4 1.5GHz. That means it is 423pin. That means it uses a power regulator. That means that the power regulator might be faulty, or dying, or isn't inserted all the way. The PowerRegulator sits next to the CPUchip, giving it a constant stream of even power. After the 423 experiement, Intel made the chips able to convert small jumps in power to a higher frequency, which led to speed jumps, and high heat. The power regulator might be the problem. Try resitting the PowerReg and see what happens. Also check its pins, if they are scratched, then it might not be getting enough contact.

SOLUTION TO ALL PROBLEMS: Pick up a 939pin MOBO and an AMD3000+ processor, put it in, and go. Total cost on this solution is about $300, and will 4X the performance of yuor current PC.

Also, I noticed you said PC3300? If that is the case, your MOBO memory controller needs to be overclocked to meet the extra speed of the RAM, otherwise a problem similar to yours will occur.. Hmm, that actually might be the problem. Try OCing your MOBO Memory controller to 210Mhz. That might allow the extra bandwidth the RAM outputs to not bottleneck, and possibly surge the CPU, which would lead to slow computer operation. But then again, you have a 423 pin Processor, which means you use RDRAM. This could be a BIG Problem. Tell me if you use RDRAM, and what type of RAM the system says it is. Then I will continue to help you. :confused: :confused:

A 1.5GHz 478? Hmm, ok, didn't know those existed. Well, if it is not 423, then you do use DDR, don't OC the MOBO Memory Controller at all, Check your PSU, and your Ram temps. Those are the only 2 other things I can think off, except for BAD DRIVERS. Update all of your drivers, and revert your BIOS to defaults. Then try checking others listed above.

Well, for now, can i just use another power supply, i think i have another 450 watt power supply i can hook up to my fans and cd drives, and mount on the top of my case. This shoudl work for a temp solution right.

Oh, adn whats the max cpu temp. I just reached about 116 degrees when my game closed on me. Lasted about 4 minutes into the game. THe HD was only at 101. THe temp inside the case was 96. I have 3 case fans, one on top, one on the side, and one in teh back, along with a fan in teh power supply and on the cpu.

The dual power supplys didnt solve the problem, but i did get them working. Nothing like 900 watts of power to run up the electricity bill, lol. Updated my bios, and drivers. Could the 1.5 ghz processor be the problem?

Back
Top Bottom