Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
In Runtime

Question new comp build plus a few ????

have FINALLY decided on my final build and am wondering if the power supply is overkill or just right, plus any other thoughts from the experts here

i7 920 BOX
ASUS P6T deluxe v2
xfx gtx 260 core216 55nm w/farcry2 & mirrors edge
corsair 3x2gb XMS3 Twin3X DDR3 PC10600/1333MHz
corsair 750W
cooler master 690

already have 4 HDD's and a super old burner that i never use
in a year i will update my video card with some form of the new top end Nvidia GT300 variant.

and i will also add more better quality DDR3 RAM at the end of summer when win7 64bit is released

i also plan on overclocking the i7 920 and the gtx 260

all of the above will be running on my very reliable winXP PRO SP3.
will i be able to use direct X10 on winXP?
will i be able to run the newer games on winXP? or do i need VISTA to run these games that need direct X10?

thanks in advance for any advice or help!!

liquidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: new comp build plus a few ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmonkey View Post
have FINALLY decided on my final build and am wondering if the power supply is overkill or just right, plus any other thoughts from the experts here

i7 920 BOX
ASUS P6T deluxe v2
xfx gtx 260 core216 55nm w/farcry2 & mirrors edge
corsair 3x2gb XMS3 Twin3X DDR3 PC10600/1333MHz
corsair 750W
cooler master 690

already have 4 HDD's and a super old burner that i never use
in a year i will update my video card with some form of the new top end Nvidia GT300 variant.

and i will also add more better quality DDR3 RAM at the end of summer when win7 64bit is released

i also plan on overclocking the i7 920 and the gtx 260

all of the above will be running on my very reliable winXP PRO SP3.
will i be able to run the newer games on winXP? or do i need VISTA to run these games that need direct X10?

thanks in advance for any advice or help!!
Looks like a very good system. The 750 Watt is just perfect.

And personal opinion, but you shouldn't need to upgrade from the GTX Core 216 for quite a while. Like 2 or three years. Or you could SLI two of them. But it seems a shame to throw out the 216 in just year.

And just that I personally don't like windows 7 as much as Vista. I've been running the beta on several computers around home here and I would never spend $260 or whatever on Windows 7 until they make some BIG changes. I liked windows Vista or XP alot better.

And no, you cannot use directX 10 in XP. And yes, all directX 10 games that I know of (except Halo 2) will run on XP.

XPEX Vortex 3620 Mid Tower, Rosewill 450 Watt PSU, MSI P6N SLI Platinum 650i, Intel Celeron D 356, 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800, Western Digital 40GB, (2) EVGA 7950GT 256MB Video Cards in SLI, HP DVD Multi-Burner, Windows XP.
63083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Golden Master

Quote:
have FINALLY decided on my final build and am wondering if the power supply is overkill or just right
I would personally prefer to go with something modular, even if it means less wattage. Something like the HX 620. But the one you picked out is fine if you want to keep it.
Quote:
They will simply run in DX9.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
In Runtime

thats great news on the GTX 260, i'll wait and see what happens with graphics for sure. i've had a geforce 6800 GT for 5 years now and its still kicking strong (for quake III that is, haha!) and most other stuff too.

i'm not sure what you mean by going with a MODULAR PS? whats the difference?

thats cool, not too miffed aboot no dx10 as win7 64 bit is just around the corner and i'll upgrade then

do you think i can take my current HDD with winXP and stick it into the new build above and 'most' things will work fine?

i'd really hate to have to do a total re-install of the OS and the 500 programs and so on i have on my PC
Old 04-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Modular power supplies let you remove the wires you don't need. It provides better cable management. You will most probably have to reinstall your operating system. Give it a try, sometimes it works. If it does, you will have to install all of the drivers. Back up your stuff just in case.

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Quote:
The power supply is a great choice. You will need to extra power for the new GTX 300 series cards.

Quote:
No DX10 is only available in Vista and the future Windows 7

Quote:
Yes, you can run the games on XP, they'll just use DX9

Quote:
i'm not sure what you mean by going with a MODULAR PS? whats the difference?
Modular power supplies have cables that you can remove. They're nice to have at times, but not necessary. They sometimes cost more than the standard versions.

Quote:
do you think i can take my current HDD with winXP and stick it into the new build above and 'most' things will work fine?

i'd really hate to have to do a total re-install of the OS and the 500 programs and so on i have on my PC
You can, but there's some work involved. One of the simplest ways is to do a repair install. It will leave all your files and programs intact, but you will need to reinstall all drivers and updates.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
The power supply is a great choice. You will need to extra power for the new GTX 300 series cards.
thanks for the great answers!!

just wondering, did you forget the word 'get' or did the word 'to' get mistyped and should have been 'no'.

it could go either way
Old 04-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Oops. Sorry. That should have read "You will need the extra power for the new GTX 300 series cards" in reference to the Corsair 750W PSU.

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
In Runtime

no worries, thanks the 750W PSU it is!! buying tomorrow!