New Case!!

jarlmaster

In Runtime
So my old case finally kicked the bucket quite literally (my dad kicked it by accident and knocked a fan off its bearing). It was an old case (6+ years) and my computer was loud as hell so I figured I would just get a new case rather than repair this one again.

I got the Corsair Carbide 400R and man I couldn't be happier! This is simply the best case I have ever used or built into. Anti vibration fan mounts, intelligent cable routing holes besides the usual grommets (one directly from psu to 8 pin cpu connector), and a large right side panel that can accommodate all the cables I have stuffed behind the mobo tray. 3 included fans and many many options for installing more fans as well. I was thinking to get a full tower case but this mid tower is roomy and at 89 bucks it really can't be beat.

I also bought a fan controller but I couldn't get it to power on, the manufacturer wouldn't answer the phone for tech support, and it shorted on me at one point, resulting in a huge puff of smoke. I will be returning that and never getting a fan controller again. :rofl:

Fine case.

Your motherboard might be able to control the fans with included software.
Some motherboards can regulate the volt on it's 3 pin connectors. So it doesn't have to be PWM (4 pin fans. The last pin is for RPM reading and controls)

Well the fan controller didn't really end up being a big deal. The airflow is better in this case such that I don't need my super loud scythe ultra kaze and because its a newer case with newer fans its quieter anyway. My old case was so loud. It was like a vacuum. If you weren't making any noise and all the doors in my house were open you could hear it from downstairs. It was that loud. Now my case has a rather pleasant whir from the H50 pump and 2 SP120's on the rad.

Biker I have an old X58 mobo (nehalem is my dude) and they do not have any voltage control on the 3 pin connectors (which all of the connectors are). My rig hails from a time when you couldn't control your fans beyond standard motherboard protocol on fan speed (you can't adjust what the mobo tells the fans to run at)

As for the new case's aesthetic; perfection. Its very elegant and classy. 2 white led front fans gleam behind a nice rigid mesh grill. The 2 mesh 120mm cutouts in the side panel allow a look inside the case where the blue glow of the windforce logo, the blue leds of my mobo, and the blue glow from my psu fan all give it a solid blue glow in the middle and back of the comp. It has a very Ultramarines color scheme. I really like it.

My old case was so loud. It was like a vacuum. If you weren't making any noise and all the doors in my house were open you could hear it from downstairs.
Daaaaaamn. That would make me go crazy in matter of seconds.

I was on the X58 chipset until haswell. So that's a long time. I suppose you are waiting for Skylake?

Last edited:
Daaaaaamn. That would make me go crazy in matter of seconds.

I was on the X58 chipset until haswell. So that's a long time. I suppose you are waiting for Skylake?

It was bad but I got habituated and kind of blocked out the noise. Still my "new" computer is so much quieter. Definitely a better experience.

As for upgrading I am not planning on upgrading until A. I notice slowdowns/bottlenecking with the chip which has yet to happen or B. My computer dies. There's just no need to upgrade. The i7 920 is a fantastic processor and still runs like a dream. It's STILL on par with AMD's current cpu offerings in a lot of tests (by on par I mean clock for clock it only gets outperformed by a few percent generally). It's quite sad. :trash:

Back
Top Bottom