Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #11
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to ssc456
Default Re: New Case ?

umm heres a Q? u knowthat fan sort of sticks out to the side yeah as in its pretty square apart from 1 side which pokes right out ???

well 1 side of my current heat Sink + fan i have my RAM the other side i have my PSU then the other 2 sides look pretty clear what im askin is can u choose where bouts the fan sits cozon 1 side all i have is the chipset and my graphics card which there is alot of room for supposing the fan site about 120mm above u mobo ???? hope u get wot i mean i have cpu socket then in 1 direction about 100mm away from that i have my chipset but the chipset is only about 120mm high so wud the fan sit over the top of it ??

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #12
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to connchri

Here's an picture of how it installs in my motherboard. It's ATX form factor. The memory sits to the right of it and the fan is above the top of them so even if it was too close, it would touch them.

Dunno if that helps at all. One problem I did have though is my northbridge heatsink was in the way of it. To be honest though, the original one that came with the motherboard was way way to big, far larger than normal and was also passively cooled. If your northbridge has a fan on it's heatsink, it'll be a lot smaller. I replaced mine with another passive cooling one, with 4 heatpipes and loads of fins for silent overclocking but it's towered, instead of being spread across the motherboard if you get what I mean.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #13
Fully Optimized

The tuniq tower 120, or scythe infinity are the two best air coolers on the market
hascet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:32 PM   #14
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling...oc.aspx?i=2981
Old 05-16-2007, 05:57 PM   #15
Fully Optimized

so the fan has to face your RAM ? if so does it stick out alot further than a standard 775 heatsink + fan ??

ps that mobo looks a lil small for ATX u sure its not micro ? (dnt mean to patronise your knoledge)

Old 05-16-2007, 09:01 PM   #16
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post
so the fan has to face your RAM ? if so does it stick out alot further than a standard 775 heatsink + fan ??

ps that mobo looks a lil small for ATX u sure its not micro ? (dnt mean to patronise your knoledge)
No, it doenst have to.

it may look micro because the pic is cut off, but no.
| Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz(Smithfield) | EVGA 780i | EVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 |4GB Corsair 800 | WDCaviar 250GB | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro(w/ arctic silver 5) | Ultra 500w X-Finity Power Supply w/ 120mm Fan | Antec P180B. | Windows Vista Home Premium | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell Ultrasharp 22" Flatscreen Monitor

Macbook Pro 15" Unibody. 2GB Ram 250GB HDD Leopard
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:41 PM   #17
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post

Nahh, lol. It's just that the case fan on the left is a big 12cm one, and the length of the graphics card is somewhat hidden due to the IDE cables. The motherboard is ATX. Just that the HS/Fan is a biggy. Anyway, if the motherboard that the HS/Fan is going to be installed into is ATX as well, and not micro ATX, then it won't interfer with the memory, and yes, it is fitted with the fan side to the memory, but the air is blown into the fins, i.e, from right to left in my picture, then exhasted from the case by the 12cm fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hascet View Post
The tuniq tower 120, or scythe infinity are the two best air coolers on the market
The Tuniq Tower 120 got an "approved" award and the Scythe infinity got a "Approved Premuim" award in a group test in my PC Bible, Custom PC.

The Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro also got a "Approved Premuim" award and cooled the best out of the 3. Difference? The price, the other two are more than twice the price. Nuff said.

http://www.custompc.co.uk/ Goto "Labs" on the left hand side, followed by "CPU Coolers". Think he's made a sound choice.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:57 PM   #18
Golden Master

Jeese! You have practiaclly no airflow!

Now, to the subject.
If you want to get a better heatsink, clean out the wires so it would be clean, and try to see if you can add a fan in front.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:12 AM   #19
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuser View Post
Jeese! You have practiaclly no airflow!

Now, to the subject.
If you want to get a better heatsink, clean out the wires so it would be clean, and try to see if you can add a fan in front.
LOL, that was me who posted the pic, lol, not the thread starter. Anyway, I've plenty of airflow. I can't put those wires anywhere else, but two fans at the front drag some air in, and the 12cm one drags plenty out. My CPU at load doesn't ever go above 38 Degrees and it's o/ced to 3.2GHz, so it definately gets plenty of air.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #20
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
No, it doenst have to.

it may look micro because the pic is cut off, but no.
so if i wanted to i could face the fan outwards towards his graphics card im just a little worried coz im pretty sure he got a MATX board

i suppose im just gonna have to do what i always do buy it for him and if it dnt work send it back if it does then he gives me the cash for it

(+ an extra 5er or 10er u know how it works )