New built computer FREEZES please help!!

Yes at first i didn't however it didn't take long for me to realize I needed it...because I had speed fan installed and saw that it was idling at 42 instead of 32c which was a lot different. So I went to go get some and now it is back down to 32C and at night gets as low as 29C for idle.

The computer is still running on that one stick and has now officially ran longer than the other stick of memory. I will continue to keep it on and monitor the system to see if it holds up and stays on without issue for a week. If it remains up without issue we might have found the solution. If it makes it a week I will try and install the other stick of memory but in another slot and let it stay on and see if I can get it working with both sticks of memory.Any thoughts on this process?

Here is an update for everyone...As of right now the computer has been running with no errors, freezes, or random restarts for two days straight now. I have it running on one ram stick. A few days ago I ran the computer with the first memory stick and the computer froze and started restarting. So i swapped out the memory stick with the other one and it is currently running for two days fine. I will continue to run the computer for a few more days to make sure all the problems are solved.

I have some interesting info and would like to see what everyone thinks. I have this same information posted on multiple sites and I got one post with some interesting information. He said that my motherboard that was displayed in the post only supported 2.1v for the RAM however according to newegg the RAM that i bought operated at 2.2v. Could this be causing the issue? I would say it is quite possible however there is only one thing that makes me think different. I have tried running the computer with one of the memory sticks and it only lasted a day before it started restarting and going crazy. However the other RAM stick is actually still working in the machine for three days straight without any signs of error at all. So i do believe it has to do with the memory but does it make sense that maybe my memory is operating at more volts than my mobo will support. Advice would be great!! I am trying to decide if i should switch out the memory for this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

because it operates at a max of 2.0v which is in my motherboards range. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Scratch that maybe this memory it is pretty much exactly the same just operates at a lower voltage 2.0v

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148204

OK here is the latest the computer was working fine for almost 4 days straight and was sill working great till i was going to check the bios and did a restart. Well i missed the precious button to get into bios so it started booting up and i got the black screen again. Worked great until i rebooted. I did this a couple times couldn't get into windows so i did boot from last known good configurations and we are back in windows. This is a post i got from a someone which i was going to try out. Here it is

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Don't swap out your memory just yet.....I clicked on the link of your RAM that you bought on the first page....it seems some have some problems like you.

The RAM specifications indicates that it runs at 4-4-4-12 timings at 2.2v.

Quote from a user that reviewed the same product on the link:

".....Reviewed By: Alec on 8/6/2008

Pros: Great Ram, running this on my gaming rig, with a mobo that only runs up to 1.95 v for the RAM. says it needs 2.2 v to run at 4-4-4-12 but i was able to force the timing down to 4-4-4-12 @ 1.95 v. runs fast!
Cons: None atm, besides that its marked at 2.2v needed, a little high......"

There you go...the user indicated that tweaking your RAM a slight bit in the BIOS and changing the RAM settings from Auto to Manual and then change the values to 4-4-4-12and see if it works....I guess it would...if you know how to change the values that is!

(You can repost back if you do not know how to, ad I can guide you through)

Another thing is that, it the above process didn't work for you....you can purchase the other Crucial Ballistix RAM from the link you posted above....although I would have recommended you getting the G./Skill one, but I know many ppl who have issues trying to get the RAM to work with some LE (Low End) motherboards such as yours....so you may try the other Crucial one.....if the above process I explained did not work for you!

You need BIOS update?

Heres the link for you, and remember when updating your BIOS to the latest revision...don't update it to Beta ones.....< trust me on this one....instead always update to the latest non Beta revision...and all is well by then

Link: http://support.asus.com/download/dow...s&model=P5K-VM

(^ Do note that the link above is a global download page for your motherboard..meaning that you can download any updates from the link above provided!)

And feel free to reply back if any new discoveries has been discovered or help required!

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So i tried changing this setting in the bios and this is how i did it.

I was able to change the DRAM Timing Control in the bios...It was set up like this before doing anything

CAS# Latency [5]
RAS# to CAS# Delay [5 DRAM Clocks]
RAS# Precharge [5 DRAM Clocks]
RAS# Activate to Precharge [9 DRAM Clocks]

I then changed these settings to 4,4,4,12 which was talked about in the post. Is this correct...does any body know? The 4,4,4,12 are the settings that are currently running right now and windows is up and running with one stick.

About changing the voltage of the memory that KurrentEweser mentioned. I am not sure exactly how to do that in the bios. Could you advice me on that. I might need to update my bios...I know there is an update. Please let me know if these settings sound right before it is too late. Thanks

OK I am definitely needing some help guys! I flashed the BIOS with the newest update and I am still not able to change the voltage on the DRAM their is not a section in the bios for this. I believe I have it the DRAM timing set to 4,4,4,12 which if you read the recent posts will show how I did that. But I am not sure what it did if it did anything. The issue possibly for those of you who may not have read is that we believe that the voltage for the memory operates at 2.2volts and the maximum voltage which the motherboard supplies for the memory is a max of 2.1volts. Can this be the issue that is causing all the hassle? Even though I am only running on memory stick and still having trouble. Please help I am running out of time, patience, and just very frustrated with this situation. Anyone have any thoughts that can help with the solution. Please I need your help!!!

OK this is an update. I am feeling confident it has to do with the memory in some way. Possibly voltage or memory and motherboard combination not working well together. The motherboard ram slots operate at 2.1 volts max and the memory operates at 2.2volts. Tried to lower the voltage by .1 on the memory in the bios but got an overclocking error most likely I am doing something wrong. Not sure with my FSB should be set to. I have pictures of the bios located at this forum that you can look at and see what is going on

http://www.techtalkz.com/hardware-t...new-built-computer-freezes-please-help-5.html

Currently right now i decided to put both sticks of memory in but in the two black slots. I have the bios set to 4,4,4,12 for the DRAM Timing. I also checked and it is using Dual Channel configuration. The system booted up which it has many times in the past with both sticks in but never lasts more than three days. I have never tried it in the black slots with the new bios configurations so I will see how this plays out. I am also running Prime95 to see if i get any errors. Any thoughts or suggestions about the voltage or what the problem can be. Please this has gone on WAY TO LONG.

EDIT...LATEST ERROR

Well I tried installing the two memory sticks into the computer at the same time. Putting one in the first black RAM slot and the second stick in the second black RAM slot. It didn't last a full day and I end up with a black screen. I tried rebooting and it continues to give me the black screen. I did boot from last known good configuration and still a black screen. I even tried taking one of the memory sticks out and still nothing but a black screen. Looks like I will have to reformat which is ok but does anyone have any thoughts of things to try.

ANOTHER EDIT...

Well sorry I got the post after talking with Crucial. They said that I WOULD NEED to get memory that was operating at less that 2.1 Volts. I also found out that they aren't even selling the memory I have now any more. They are trading this particular model in for the exact same thing with less voltage anyways lol. So I will still post what happens when i get the new memory. They will be shipping it right away hopefully lol and I will put both sticks in and I will also format the machine just to make sure there is nothing wrong. Just want to start brand NEW! Anyways thanks for the help and hopefully this will be the fix.

Been reading about your problem and I had a similar one with my PC. You may want to try plugging in your sata cable to another connector on your motherboard. It may not solve anything but it is worth a try. More often than not the problem is something simple and a bad connector would cause your computer to act erratically just as you have described. I have found that those cables do not always seat properly into the motherboard and will cause data corruption which can lead to just about all of the problems that you have described. I hope this helps

I will certainly triple check and make sure everything is plugged in and secure as can be. Thanks for the tip!

Hello everyone the problem is SOLVED!!! I have swapped out my memory for the same size and type the only difference being that it operates at 2.1 volts. Thanks for all your help!!! It has now been running for about 8 days straight!! I have installed all the updates, programs, and drivers. Everything is working flawlessly. Thanks again for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom