New to building a desktop and in need of serious help

newbie_bewbie

Beta member
Hello! I should start off by saying that I have never built a computer before nor do I exactly understand what each part of the computer does. With that said, I have put together a mixture of parts that I have either read online or someone has suggested to me in hopes that I would be able to put something decent together that could get the job done. Although I'm not even sure if they'd all work together, the parts I have taken a look at are:

-Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
-CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
-SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100283VX-2L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT)
-ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD
-Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
-Antec NSK 4482B Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply
-LITE-ON DVD/CD WRITER Black SATA Model iHAS524-T98A

This is a few hundred above what I am looking to spend, however, I am looking to be able to run (not necessarily all at once) the Adobe Suite programs, CAD programs, Maya, etc, so I understand the cost will be above what I would like. So, if anyone has any suggestions or tips on where I can reduce the cost or anything please let me know, I am completely lost in this process so anything helps, Thanks!

You dont need a cpu that powerful for what you need done. I think you should just go with a amd processor. They aren't as powerful as an i7. The best amd processor costs about 320 and is as powerful as one of the i5 lintel processors. And an amd mother board is cheaper then a lntel board. Intel has high end parts for gamers. So start looking into amd that will bring your price down.
And by the way that mother board is for a amd processor. That means you cant put an Intel in the socket.
Wow, I feel that I need to put more effort into this post.
Parts you need
1.mother board- The main pcb this is what all of your arether parts are based on. Make sure every thing is compatible with your mother board.
2.power supply unit(psu)- dont be cheap on this, i have seen so many of the cheap ones blow up
3.case
4.cpu- this is the brain of the pc, lets just say the higher its clocked and the more cashe it can store the more powerful it is
5.memory- stores current data, the more you have the more programs you can run at one time
6.hard drive-stores data, all of your files and your operating system
7.graphics cards are optional if there is an on board vga port
8.thermal paste- to mount your heat sink to your cpu
9.an operating system to install onto the hard drive

I know this isnt the greatest tut but I had trouble dumbing down some words.
If I forgot anything someone please add it in for me.
I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply!

The main reason I was looking into an i7 is because people had told me it would be better for Maya and CAD programs if I wanted to be able to do other stuff at the same time. Would an i5 or equivalent to an i5 be able to do that?

What program are you going to run that way I can look at the system requirements.

What is your budget?

Mostly going to be running Maya, the Adobe Suite programs, and I'm not exactly sure which CAD program, maybe SolidWorks or AutoCad. I'm pretty sure if it can handle Maya then the CAD stuff shouldn't be a problem.

My budget isn't really set, I'd like to keep it under $800 but I know that's probably unlikely so as close (or as low) as possible lol

Thanks! That looks pretty awesome, and it is right around my price range =]

If I don't plan on gaming, is that graphics card necessary? same with the blue-ray burner if I don't plan on burning blu-ray's?

I put that in their mainly for the 'what ifs'.

alot of Bespoke and CAD programs are very resource heavy, and a solid GPU is always a good precaution to have.

the same With blu-rays. I expect it wont be long until their superior storage size will begin to overtake DVDs in the software game.

Back
Top Bottom