Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default New to building

Hello, I am new to building computers and I hope to build one soon. I was wondering if the hardware I picked out was good. I'm hoping to play some higher end games on it and do a decent amount of video editing. Also, I'm on sort of a limited budget. Anyways here's what I have picked out so far:

MoBo: Newegg.com - Open Box: MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

Video Card: Newegg.com - MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9

HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optical Drive: Newegg.com - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

Power Sup: Newegg.com - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Case: Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

That's it, if there's anything I forgot, please tell me. And if there is stuff that either won't work or there is a cheap upgrade, also tell me. Thanks for your help!

puzowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: New to building

what games and what sort of graphics levels do you want to play? also what's your budget and i'll see what i can put together for you.
Oh and go with WD Black for a HDD not blue as black is the fastest out of the WD range

lipzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipzo View Post
what games and what sort of graphics levels do you want to play? also what's your budget and i'll see what i can put together for you.
Oh and go with WD Black for a HDD not blue as black is the fastest out of the WD range
I plan on playing first person shooters(Brink, Call of Duty, Battlefield BC2, Portal 2, etc.), and then some other games like Diablo 3(Whenever it's going to come out...), Dragon Age 2, and what graphics levels I play them on would be somewhat high, but I wouldn't need it all the way up. My budget is probably anywhere under $1,000 but I could maybe stretch to $1,200 but that's it. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
In Runtime

I prefer to get IDE version of the optical drives. It frees up sata ports for future upgrading. You need to switch out that power supply to 750W+. The Nvidia card has a required minimum of 600W and AMD processors suck a lot of power.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

What you should do, really, if you're trying to future-proof your rig for a bit, is get a Blu-ray drive. That would mean you could read any disk you would ever need to for the next few years.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenAtari View Post
I prefer to get IDE version of the optical drives. It frees up sata ports for future upgrading. You need to switch out that power supply to 750W+. The Nvidia card has a required minimum of 600W and AMD processors suck a lot of power.
Ok, thanks. I upgraded the power supply to this:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

I think instead of using an IDE Optical Drive, I'll just get a Blu ray burner. I think that will last me for a while.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
In Runtime

I just skimmed your motherboard specs. It doesn't appear to support SLI. Therefore you will only be able to have 1 Nvidia card in your rig.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenAtari View Post
I just skimmed your motherboard specs. It doesn't appear to support SLI. Therefore you will only be able to have 1 Nvidia card in your rig.
Like I said, I'm pretty new to this. Is there a Motherboard that you would recommend? Or one that would be good for what I'm doing?
Old 05-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
In Runtime

The ASUS M4N98TD EVO will probably work better for you if you wish to stay with a AMD build. Seeing as this is a budget build that is probably what you will stay with anyways. However, check that the cpu and memory is supported.