New build, thinking of a server processor

Half Evil

Golden Master
Well, what it comes down to is I really don't game. I have alot of stuff open at once, and it can stay open for weeks. It kills my current P4 (lol).

I was going to go I7, but now that I am getting ready to buy some produce yet again I am having seconds thoughts about the direction to go. I am thinking a server processor would be better for me since I restart my computer only when it needs to (gets to slow for its own good) or I am installing/uninstalling something or it crashes under its own will.

With that being said, its on all the time. I don't think as of right now its been shut off this month.

So, I need a CPU that can handle longtime work loads. Where do I start? I am certain that I am just going to revamp my entire build from what anyone may or may not remember last time. Budget is 1500 or under.

For right now I want to discuss CPU's. I am thinking the

Intel Xeon X3370 Yorkfield 3.0GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117173

or

Intel Xeon E5420 Harpertown 2.5GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117148

Honestly I cant tell a difference between these two except for the operating frequency, socket type LGA 775 vs 771, and the core.

I don't know what socket is better, I don't know what core is better, and I know that not everything is about operating frequency. So?

What do we think...

edit- dont worry I didnt stick this in processors because there will be more then just processors in this, I want to talk about my entire build!

another edit-

would it be better to step uo to socket lga 1156?

the socket has a few pins in differeance
and im in the same boat as you
i havent turned my pc off this month either, or restarted it
you really dont need to over haul your cpu
its your RAM
you dont have enough
you should get 4GB+ and a 64-bit os
i would go with the X3370, 6GB or more of ram, W7 64-bit, and you can pick and choose the rest of your hardware
like a GPU, PSU, HDD, and optical drives
hope this helps

oh btw
i have 4 GB in my rig
and im running dual 22" LCDs
so i have alot open as well
and my ram is always at 70% once i put it through its paces
at start-up it hovers in the upper 40s and just barely over 50%
the highest its ever been is 80% so keep that in mind

What if you get an i7 and overclock it? Get a really good air cooled heatsink and a well ventilated case. :)

a socket 775 Core 2 Quad OC'd can still hang in there with the i7s
Proof
read this article, and the next page is the conclusions
an i7 isnt really necessary
but it would be cool to have none the less

Back
Top Bottom