New Build. Tell me what you think of it (Work in Progress)

grenades4balls

Baseband Member
There is a recall on the P67 chipset. The sata ports can burn out. LGA1155 also creates a bottleneck with pci-e lanes. So, there won't be a good sli or crossfire setup in your future. Also, do you really need 16GB of ram?

A few things about this rig:
- Do you really need the i7 2600k? unless your going to be using hyper threading you may as well go with the i5 2500k which will save you $100 which you could put towards a second GPU.
- Also you have a hell of a expensive mobo and unless your planning to do serious overclocking then to me it seems like a waste of $100 or so.
- 1000W PSU? is it necessary
- 16GB of ram? that seems a bit overkill to me

There is a recall on the P67 chipset. The sata ports can burn out. LGA1155 also creates a bottleneck with pci-e lanes. So, there won't be a good sli or crossfire setup in your future. Also, do you really need 16GB of ram?

The chipset fault is repaired, boards are back in production. it was a billion dollar cockup, but it's fixed now.

From a gamer's point of view, if you've got the cash, 16GB of RAM is 'gazmic. i do agree though, that the i5 is better value for money, but i7 sounds cooler amirite?

Having a good mobo means high speed busses, increased support etc. Maybe it's a little on the pricey side, but it's gamer's board, all gamer's stuff is expensive these days. Like Lipzo said that would would be a beast for an overclock, and the 2600k can go to 5GHz air-cooled, provided you have a decent cooler.

Like i said, Intel fixed the problems after one huge-ass recall and a billion dollars in replacements and reimbursements, the problems are all gone, and the epicness of Sandy Bridge can show through. I mean, an i5 at 4.7 and an i7 at 5? yes please.

well dark i've seen plenty of i5's that are running on 5 ghz on air cooling and they are fine, and with the mobo you can spend 200 and get just as good a gaming value anyway but i guess its personal choice there

well i was thinking mostly at how long this system will last. i have had my current one for 3 years now and im hoping to get 5 at the most out of this one, i do plan on overclocking and 16 gbs of ram bc i edit videos and photos, so it helps. i may not get 2x 570's and just get a 580 or if i can 590. also, i already have the 1000W.

well the i5 can clock to almost the same speeds as the i7's and some of them can hit the same as the i7's so i just don't see the point in spending the extra $100 espicially when you won't notice much of a difference

1. the i7 has 8MB Cache, rather than the i5's 6MB.

2. the i7 has 8 threads, rather than the i5's 4.

3. the i5 has a 33 B/C Ratio, the i7 has 34.

thats where your extra $100 is going. But since $100 is like what, £60? i'd pay that for 2MB more cache, 4 more threads and a higher B/C ratio. It's not all about clock speeds.

Back
Top Bottom