New build suggestions, comments, reccommendation on PSU

Dragonsmight

Baseband Member
Hi this the build i'm looking at making.

CPU: i7 920 I want to OC it, never oc'ed before but will be looking up a guide, any suggestions on how high and what should i get to cool it??

Mobo: ASUS P6T deluxe

GPU: Radeon 4870 I see multiple radeon 4870's does the company matter? The one there is sapphire.

RAM: Corsair Dominator 3x2gb

PSU: Corsair 750w I have no idea about PSU's is this good? Will it cover a possible 2nd 4870 in the future?

Case: Antec twelve hundred Is this a bit unnecessary? Would a antec nine hundred work?

Planning on running 64bit, deciding between vista home premium or ultimate. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.

CPU: i7 920 I want to OC it, never oc'ed before but will be looking up a guide, any suggestions on how high and what should i get to cool it??
As you're new to overclocking, you probably won't be going that high, but learning to OC is mostly trial and error once you understand the concept.
Mobo: ASUS P6T deluxe
TBH, I think that is waaay too much for you, especially as you're new to overclocking, the cheapest X58 boards have everything you need and are still pretty nice looking.
GPU: Radeon 4870 I see multiple radeon 4870's does the company matter? The one there is sapphire.
They're all reference designs, so they're all identical. I'd just go with the cheapest.

Just make sure you have a 24"+ for that thing or you're wasting your money.
RAM: Corsair Dominator 3x2gb
You can get away with some cheaper kits IMO, it will do just fine.
PSU: Corsair 750w I have no idea about PSU's is this good? Will it cover a possible 2nd 4870 in the future?
I like modular, but it'll be a lot easier for cable management.
IMO, by the time you need a second HD 4870 X2, there'll be better cards available that will be quicker and cheaper.
Case: Antec twelve hundred Is this a bit unnecessary? Would a antec nine hundred work?
I never liked the Antec 900, but the 1200 is a nice case, I'd recommend you stick with it.

For the overclocking, you could get a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and buy the LGA 1366 mounting kit.

+1 for 64 bit Vista.

How is this for a CPU cooler?? Noctua

Also with the antec twelve hundred am I going to need any extra fans or does it come with enough to keep the above rig oc'ed a bit cooled?

Also with the antec twelve hundred am I going to need any extra fans or does it come with enough to keep the above rig oc'ed a bit cooled?
It comes with all the fans.
How is this for a CPU cooler?? Noctua
I suppose it's OK if you can't find a TRUE...

I don't think they make any card higher than 1000mbps...maybe 2000mbps. Internet speeds don't even reach 100, so you'd only see the gain in transferring files through network. You might want to buy a network card if you want wireless. I think network cards may also reduce a small amount of load on the CPU. Someone may want to check that for me. The reduction wouldn't be that significant though. Bottom line is: there is no need.

Back
Top Bottom