New build suggestions on a budget

Guys, we'll need to be suggesting a SATA HDD or CD Drive. I like the Seagate 7200.10 series 250Gb with the 16mb cache; very fast drives.

Why the suggestion for the SATA drives? Is IDE out of the mix now? or are all newer mobo's SATA?

Does that mean my IDE CD drive is junk now to?

I actually have 2 hard drives currently. 1 has Linux ubuntu on it and the other has windows home. I have the install disk for windows but if I take that and install it on the new drive with the current serial wont microsoft think im ripping them off and flag the key as invalid?

Also, since not many people opposed roosters suggestion I assume its a good one. What kind of performance can I expect compared to my current HP D530C, Intel Pentium4 3.0GHZ?

Why the suggestion for the SATA drives? Is IDE out of the mix now? or are all newer mobo's SATA?

Does that mean my IDE CD drive is junk now to?

I actually have 2 hard drives currently. 1 has Linux ubuntu on it and the other has windows home. I have the install disk for windows but if I take that and install it on the new drive with the current serial wont microsoft think im ripping them off and flag the key as invalid?

Also, since not many people opposed roosters suggestion I assume its a good one. What kind of performance can I expect compared to my current HP D530C, Intel Pentium4 3.0GHZ?

apparently if you uninstall your current windows version and use the same cd key it should work

IDE is just a dated interface... SATA HD and optical drives are just faster - that being said, mobos still have IDE slots on them... just look to see how many

Here's the problem. I know this because I had the same problem. New-er motherboards only have one IDE header built on and you can't have HDD's and opticals on the same header. So either one or the other (or both) have to be SATA.

Now, there are IDE-SATA conveters - Sabrent makes one.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1567086&CatId=1455

But it's impractical to use one for each SATA device, for about 30 you can just get a new SATA optical or for about 60, a new SATA HDD.

EDIT: I'm wrong :d You /can/ use different devices on IDE.

You can have an optical drive and a hard drive on the same cable. Who told you you couldn't?

There's nothing wrong with having an HDD and an optical drive on the same cable. As long as the HDD is master and they are jumpered correctly, you shouldn't have any problems.

>.> the 680i has betrayed me yet again. well, then I stand corrected. you need not a new drive. Though you will see a large performance increase.

Back
Top Bottom