Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
Baseband Member
Default Re: New build for next gen gaming -2000-2500$cnd budget

Originally Posted by ISOwner View Post
That's quite a big budget you got there, even for Canadian currency. USD and Canada aren't far off in dollars.

Here are the core components I would suggest:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor - 2.40GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield--Go Stepping, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket 775, BX80562Q6600, Processor with Fan

EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX Video Card - FREE Enemy Territory: Quake Wars PC Game, 768MB GDDR3, PCI Express, SLI Ready, Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card

Crucial Ballistix Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz EPP Memory (2x 1024MB)

Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express, Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0 & Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID

or this:

EVGA nForce 680i SE SLI (TR Version) Motherboard - NVIDIA, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, SLI Ready, PCI Express, Dual Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0 & Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID

(you can get faster RAM should you choose that motherboard)

OCZ / StealthXStream / 600-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / PCI-e Ready / Active PFC / Power Supply

Everything else is kind of up to you. That's a pretty strong setup though.
seems like a very nice build and its probably what ill go with just a couple questions though will that power supply be enough if i wana sli in the future and if i take my hard drive from my old computer do i have to erase everything first?

rahxephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
Golden Master

Technically, that power supply is adequate for SLI. I believe that 500-550watt is the bare minimum with adequate 30+ amperage on dual 12 volt rails. But looking around, here's a really nice one:

OCZ / GameXStream / 700-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA Ready / SLI Ready / EPS / Active PFC / Power Supply

Oh yeah, that's the one. So beautiful!!! It will take anything you throw at it. Even if you plan to OC the crap out of your PC system. Then add water cooling later on, hehe .

If you want to use your old hard drive, you can. Nothing wrong with that. You may end up doing a reformat because of different hardware support and I don't know how Windows will respond to that should you put your old drive into a new system with unknown parts. You could try to install the hard drive in first just to see what happens. If it boots fine, you can reinstall all the new drivers (motherboard, video card, etc.). If not, then a simple repartitioning and reformat is recommended.

*Fact: Microsoft Window's Blue Screen of Death vs Computerforums.org's White Screen of Death. Which is worse?
ISOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
Golden Master
Send a message via MSN to Kage

Well, there is no point spending more on a CPU than you need to.
Heck, all the Extremes have is an unlocked multiplier to go higher.
But the Q6600 overclocks like crazy anyway, so you can achieve higher clocks than even the most expensive quad core.

Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote