New Build - Have at it guys!

Ah. I see. See I wouldn't have known that because my desktop is an Intel.

EDIT: Yep. From a quick google search, you seem correct. The SB710 has a slightly slower RAID config, and is actually more noticeable running a RAID1 setup vs. RAID0.

However, what will be the difference in graphics performance between the 785 and 790 chipsets? Isn't the 4200 better than the 3300? I'm sure for what they'll use it for it won't matter though...

Nice!

Also, in case you ever have to tell anyone else. The 500GB 1-platter Seagate 7200.12 16mb cache has SLIGHTY FASTER read/write times, with a SLIGHTLY SLOWER access time vs. the WD 640GB 2-platter 32mb cache drive.

Because of the large difference in price (at this very moment) I'll be going with the Seagates and RAID1'ing them. If for some reason the price goes up before the build happens, I'll probably go with the larger WD drives since the price would better reflect the size. So just food for thought for you! From what I've heard, the Seagates have had no issues like the 7200.11 drives.

I think I'll give them the option of this monitor, or this one (or depending on price at time, this one).

I've selected these speakers. I'll make sure they don't need anything fancier.

EDIT********

Okay guys here's what I've come up with.

System 1
Board
CPU
RAM
HDD x2 (RAID1)
DVD
PSU

Monitor
or
Monitor 2

Keyboard
Mouse
Speakers

W7
Office

Total: $1,027 (with shipping, not factoring rebates) for option with 20" Acer Monitor; $1,077 for 21.5" ASUS monitor.

System 2
(if they need to save some dough)
Board
CPU
RAM (same)
HDD (same, but only 1)
DVD (same)
PSU (same)

Keyboard & Mouse & Speakers are same.

Monitor

Same W7 and Office, of course.

Total: $833 (with shipping, not factoring rebates)

Back
Top Bottom