Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-25-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default New build boot problem

Hey guys! I just made up a new build and it worked fine first power on.. I installed vista and then tried to install a wireless LAN card.

After vista was installed I shut down, added the pci card and powered back up. There is now no post screen, and the monitor doesnt even recognise any output from the machine. I tried taking the LAN card out and booting but I got the same blank screen. I also tried the monitor on another pc and it worked fine. I also replaced the GPU in the new machine with a somewhat dodgy, but working x700 card, and again I had no post.

Any help appreciated! Im hoping its not a mobo RMA issue as I am off to uni soon and an RMA at this time would be a bit of a hassle!

Cheers, Reg

got_reg? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Baseband Member
Default Re: New build boot problem

New builds do usually come with a couple of kinks to work out don't they? I think what happened is that when you opened up your computer to put in the PCI card you jostled the motherboard and it's probably shorting out on a screw somewhere. Try reseating it or take it all out and place it on something like a piece of cardboard and see if it boots up.

There are other things that could be wrong but I think this is the simplest thing to try first and it is a common problem (loose screw's and what not.) Though you may want to check all your connections before doing to much work.
Shadowmoose is offline   Reply With Quote