New build advice, but hammer dropping today!

Branjo

Baseband Member
Old build
Q6600 (2008)
Gigabyte P-35-DS3R (2008)
4x2GB G.Skill DDR2 800. (2011-12)

Ok so my motherboard took a massive you know what yesterday and is in a cycle of death (common problem with the P35-DS3R). I checked the Ram stick by stick, and in my other identical PC, all seem to be fine. I have cleared CMOS (overnight), replaced the battery, cleaned with an air duster, removed all hardware and ran with bare essentials. Used the paper clip method and tested all the molex, 24 pin and PCIe power connecters of the PSU and all report exactly what they should be.

Also took the G/card from the other PC and tried it in mine, still the same, constant power up and shut off about 3 seconds later. I left it for over an hour doing this as its a feature of the board to find a stable setting, but it was in vain.

I have overclocked the snot out of it for a few years now, and lately I have had it running @ 3.6 / 1.41 - 1.43 on air at a max of 67C which is not past the max, but for a few years its bound to have taken its toll.

I am not 100% sure its the CPU or Mobo but either way I can't get the parts new anymore, and would have to resort to buying off eBay, and I have been burned a few times before. I'd also rather paying a little extra and some piece of mind getting new stuff. Given some time to breath I will check the CPU out in the other PC to make sure, but if my son goes that long without Minecraft, he'll just die (apparently).

Ok so I have 4 things I need to upgrade in order to get up and running.

I have ~
XFX HD6870 and a Xigmatex 750w Modular PSU.

I am about to buy (today) at microcenter who have beaten newegg on price and there is a store 30 mins away.

i5 3750K $189.99
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket LGA 1155 Boxed Processor 407627 - Micro Center

Gigabyte Z77X-D3H $99.99 (bought with mobo 40 bucks off)
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard 346684 - Micro Center

Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 2 x 4Gb $64.99
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules) 649528755988 - Micro Center

And

Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 Cooler $36.99
Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 Universal CPU Cooler GAIA SD1283 - Micro Center

Basically wanting to know if anyone has had any conflicts that might arise with these components?

Need to know pretty soon as I am going to buy them as I said today online and pick them up at the store tonight.

Might not be able to reply straight away but I will read every post, any advice is greatly appreciated.

No worries, already brought the hammer down on the list. Decided to go with 2x4gb of Kingston hyperX 1600's.

Delete thread please.

Thanks man, good to hear that.

I'm about to go and pick up the stuff in a few minutes, patients was never my strong suit.

Back
Top Bottom