New Build

Stennick

Beta member
I'm a new guy here (as evidenced by this being my second post). First let me tell you the computer I have been using for the last four years is an Acer Aspire 5517 laptop. For those of you that aren't familiar with it (and who would be unless they were forced to) it rocks a SINGLE core 1.6 ghz processor with two gigs of ram with a 15 inch screen. The sad thing is in 2009 I think I paid nearly 400 dollars for this atleast 300.

Before that I've had a run of shitty desktops that I can't even remember the specs on them because they were from 2005 and before. Hell I think in 2004 I had a 350 MHZ processor.

Anyway you get the picture I've always had shitty shitty computers and I'm sick of it. I'm sick of getting computers that are outdated years before I even buy them. So I want to get a new cpu and I finally have the cash to make the purchase. Before I do that I have several questions and any help with these questions would be great.

The first question is is it cheaper to have a computer built than buying one off of the shelf? I don't know jack about building a computer I know you need a mother board, a power supply, a processor, a case, a hard drive and RAM. I don't know if you need more than that and I don't know how to put any of that together. So I would have to go to a computer shop to do so which seems like paying them to build my computer will be taking whatever I save by buying the parts myself and just handing those savings over to them to build it for me. Not too mention I doubt I would get the same kind of fool proof long term warranty that I could get if I bought one but if I'm missing something please let me know.

2. I don't do much gaming now but I think I would like to in the future. I play pretty intensive games such as Skyrim, Mass Effect, etc the ability to play these games on the computer opens up aspects of the game I can't get from an XBOX. On top of looking to the future to be able to play the top of the line CPU game releases I do a TON of video converting. I record a lot of video in my personal life having two kids a wife, a large family every month there is baseball games, holidays, birthdays, vacations and I'm something of an amateur video guy. I have to convert all of those videos over to a different type of file after I place them on my computer and as I said there are a lot of videos. Sometimes I might be converting twenty videos that are a half hour or more sometimes. On my computer now if I do that it nearly shuts my computer down. Its such a slow crawl that its almost pitiful. I also do a lot of video and photo editing on my computer and I have looked into getting into 3D rendering as well. So if I want a computer that is going to play the newest video games out there, if I want a computer that is going to be able to blaze through my video converting, if I want a computer that will be able to let me do video and photo editing as quickly as possible and let me dabble at a fairly good speed in 3D rendering what end of the spectrum am I looking at? Can I get this done for 800 dollars and future proof my computer for the next four years?

3. The AMD versus Intel debate, well from what I have read there is no debate. Intel kicks AMD's ass all over the place. However Intel is also quite a bit more than AMD. I don't know if there is a question here as much as are AMD's as bad as I'm reading all over the internet. Are they reliable? Are they long lasting? And are they atleast close to the speeds of intel?

The computer I'm looking at right now is the HP Envy, six cores 3.5 ghz processor, with 10 gigs of ram and a 1TB HD. Model number HP Envy h8-1414 its in my price range and it seems to me like its very future proofed. Any insight would be helpful.

Thank you

That seems a little expensive for the pc, in my opinion. Go to Newegg.com they have some good deals. They have kits that you just put together, they have prebuild pcs, and they have pc parts to build your own pc if you want. They will probably have something better for your price.

---------- Post added at 01:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 AM ----------

Btw I looked up prices for it

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

Check this pc out. It will be great for gaming, and most likely video processing. http://www.Newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=83-229-396

you can get such a PC for around $900 (maybe less especially if you get an operating system without a reusable code). The problem with AMD is that most of their processors have very weak individual cores which can be important although not as much as it used to be.

If you go AMD, you will want either a FX-6300 FX-8320 or a FX-8350. If you go intel you will want an i5 processor. The 3 AMD processors I mentioned are either on par or even better than the i5 with multitasking capabilities. As for individual core strength, the i5 beats all 3 of them although they are actually quite decent compared to the rest of the AMD processors.

Basically, your best bet is to aim for an Intel i5 3570K, 3570, or a 3470 (-K series overclock much better if that interests you). If you want something cheaper, go for the FX-6300.

For such games, the weakest GPU i'd get is the Radeon 7770 but the Radeon 7850 (which is a much better GPU) is at such a good price atm it's almost stupid (about $170 on newegg). If you get anything better than a 7850 you will probably start pushing your budget. The 7850 should handle such games easily with at least high graphic settings.

building your own will always end up being a better option, if you'd like to take a look into it you can visit finitpc.com since it has info that may benefit you. I understand that some people just don't have the time or patience to learn about hardware compatibility and getting the best hardware for the price so you can customize a pre-built at ibuypower quite easily.

you will want 8GB of memory at 1600Mhz. Most people will never need more but since you video edit and such, you might benefit from 16GB although I am not sure if it's worth it at your budget.

500-600watt PSU is more than enough for a single GPU.

Last edited:
I appreciate the responses guys I am leaning towards the AMD FX 6300 processor chip I think its going to give me the speed I want. I think I will also get 16 gigs of ram just because it is so cheap even if I'll never need that much. A friend of mine has 16 gigs of ram and even during the most intense parts of his game he's using 17 percent of his RAM but I'd rather be using 17 than 34 and my theory (although it could be wrong) is in two years there might be games that are tugging at 20-25 percent of my memory and then at that point it will feel worth it. With this its all about making sure I'm set with a CPU for the next five years with plenty of room for growth. Thank you guys so much for your responses.

DON'T LISTEN TO INTEL FANBOYS!!!!!!!
Intel fanboys are crazy! I even read a post from one of them that said an 8 core AMD is worse than an i3, I have done comparisons myself, AMD has a far better price to preformance ratio then AMD. The top Intel CPU is better than the top AMD CPU but at like a thousand dollar difference, and the power is only slightly better.

Unless you are doing any heavy video editing, go with no more than 8GB of RAM. If you plan on using things like photoshop then you can go up to 16GB or even more, otherwise it will just be a waste of money.

BUILD YOUR OWN! It's super easy, it only takes like 30 minutes of assembly and then you just plunk in the disc for the OS and wait. Make sure you don't forget a monitor + keyboard and mouse.

For buying stuff, go to either tigerdirect or newegg. They both have great prices, and from personal experience tigerdirect has super fast shipping. Even though my harddrive was shipping late, we complained and they gave us a faster version for free.

For a video card, if you want one under 300 dollars but is very fast and can handle anything from Skyrim to Crysis 3, get an EVGA nVidia 560 ti(make sure it has the "ti" at the end). I have it myself, very powerful.

build-gaming-computers.com very good website for learning about gaming computers, they have dozens of tutorials and sample builds for different price ranges. Good luck!

Ok, first - look at my forum avatar. Good to go? Great. Keep reading.

The whole "AMD offers better price to performance ratio" is bull.

The AMD chips are fine chips, but if you want the highest performing chip for the dollar, you need an Intel.

That being said, AMD's highest rated CPUs can barely keep pace with Intel's i3, and the i3 is a dual core with Hyperthreading. Ouch.

Even AMD's former top of the line champion, the Phenom II X6 1100T schools their newer FX chips (unless you buy a top of the line FX or overclock a slower one over 4GHz)

I currently use an AMD FX 6100 at work as a test server running VMWare ESXi and it is noticeably slower than my Phenom II X6 1100T here at home which is also running ESXi.

Some of the facts that jmlport98 is trying to sell you on here are mostly accurate - the high end chips from Intel school the high end AMD parts, but the sad fact of the matter is that they do it at the low end as well.

The IPC (Instruction Per Clock) rate of the Intel Core i_ chips is much higher than that of an AMD chip from any generation. If you don't do a lot of multitasking, the i3 is a fine chip. Most mainstream PC users should get an i5. If you do a lot of video encoding and the i7 is too expensive for you, THEN go with a 6 or 8 core AMD.

4GB of RAM is also still a perfectly acceptable amount to get. 8GB is the "new" normal, but most games and apps will be hard pressed to use that much right now. 16GB is only really necessary if you're doing production work (as jmlport98 points out)

The AMD chips are a good buy if you're tight on money and just want as many cores as you can afford. If you want more for your money however, Intel is where it's at...

My home PCs are all AMD, for the record. I use an Intel i7 920 at work. I used to be an AMD fan boy, but after Intel released the i series processors, I got on board because they really are as fast as others say. I put together a system for a friend about a month ago and his "low end" i5 schooled my Phenom II 965. Badly.

/sigh

Ok, first - look at my forum avatar. Good to go? Great. Keep reading.

The whole "AMD offers better price to performance ratio" is bull.

The AMD chips are fine chips, but if you want the highest performing chip for the dollar, you need an Intel.

That being said, AMD's highest rated CPUs can barely keep pace with Intel's i3, and the i3 is a dual core with Hyperthreading. Ouch.

Even AMD's former top of the line champion, the Phenom II X6 1100T schools their newer FX chips (unless you buy a top of the line FX or overclock a slower one over 4GHz)

I currently use an AMD FX 6100 at work as a test server running VMWare ESXi and it is noticeably slower than my Phenom II X6 1100T here at home which is also running ESXi.

Some of the facts that jmlport98 is trying to sell you on here are mostly accurate - the high end chips from Intel school the high end AMD parts, but the sad fact of the matter is that they do it at the low end as well.

The IPC (Instruction Per Clock) rate of the Intel Core i_ chips is much higher than that of an AMD chip from any generation. If you don't do a lot of multitasking, the i3 is a fine chip. Most mainstream PC users should get an i5. If you do a lot of video encoding and the i7 is too expensive for you, THEN go with a 6 or 8 core AMD.

4GB of RAM is also still a perfectly acceptable amount to get. 8GB is the "new" normal, but most games and apps will be hard pressed to use that much right now. 16GB is only really necessary if you're doing production work (as jmlport98 points out)

The AMD chips are a good buy if you're tight on money and just want as many cores as you can afford. If you want more for your money however, Intel is where it's at...

My home PCs are all AMD, for the record. I use an Intel i7 920 at work. I used to be an AMD fan boy, but after Intel released the i series processors, I got on board because they really are as fast as others say. I put together a system for a friend about a month ago and his "low end" i5 schooled my Phenom II 965. Badly.

/sigh

Well said, but I still firmly believe AMD has a better price-to-preformace ratio. The best i7 is about a thousand dollars, but is only slightly better than the top AMD CPU, which is iirc half that.

You have a funny definition of "best"

Most users don't buy the $1k Intels. They buy the $200-$300 i5's and lower end i7s. And those chips will school AMD's similarly priced Hex and Octocores.

My definition of "best" is the one you can afford for the price. And a $220 i5 is the best money can buy for 99% of users interested in a quad core or better. (the "or better" comes into play with an i7 that has Hyper threading turned on)

In both cases, AMD loses.

Most users don't buy the $1k Intels. They buy the $200-$300 i5's and lower end i7s. And those chips will school AMD's similarly priced Hex and Octocores.

My definition of "best" is the one you can afford for the price. And a $220 i5 is the best money can buy for 99% of users interested in a quad core or better. (the "or better" comes into play with an i7 that has Hyper threading turned on)

I hate to say it, but I completely agree. Unless AMD really steps up, my next build is going to be an Intel platform.

There is no doubt in my mind that Intel has better CPU's, but you have to agree Intel overprices many of their CPU's. If I had more money I would easily have gone Intel over AMD but if I can get an AMD CPU for only $110 that is more powerful than intel's i5 I will snatch that thing up. I don't know if I get real lucky or something, but my FX-6100 has no problem handling anything I run, which includes games and heavy applications like FL Studio 10.

Back
Top Bottom