New to the boards, need help deciding on computer brand

BM1985

Solid State Member
Hey guys, just want to say thanks in advance for helping me out. I feel I will be on the market to look for a new computer in the future, but really want to do my research and have questions answered first. I think I have narrowed it down to a Dell, Alienware, or HP desktop. I think my main use for it will be gaming, internet browsing, and possibly burning DVD's. I was wondering which of the three would have better overall quality? I have a Compaq now, and in one year it has really let me down. Or, is there another brand you guys would recommend?

So if you are not impressed with what kind of quality a Compaq gives you then you will definitely not want an HP. Personally I have never owned a HP all I have heard is horrible stories of what has happened to their computer and the destruction HP has brought to their life.

Depending on What range of Alienware you are looking at you are better off buying the Dell. The neat thing that they make sure they won't tell you up front is that Alienware is actually owned by Dell. A nice Dell XPS will solve all your problems and from a comparable Alienware should save you about $100. They are like Sony, they charge you a little extra just because it says their name on the front when really they are not any more special.

That's one of the more straight-forward answers I've gotten, thank you! I knew Alienware was owned by Dell, but the Dell representative justified a higher market for Alienware because they were designed specifically for gaming, which I agree with. But, he also said they don't overheat as quickly, or as often. I would, given your example, just be paying the extra money just for a name, right?

All three options are horribly overpriced. If you want a real gaming rig, the only way is to build it yourself.

I hear that a lot, but the only thing is I have no clue where even to begin on building my own. I have no experience in doing something like that, and I'd hate to ruin a drive or something because of bad installation.

go with dell i got the xps 9000 great mchine so far

Everything is preliminary now, just doing research. Did you customize it any, or just take the basic 9000 package?

Also, in terms of video cards, which is better, the nVidia GeForce or ATI Radeon?

Also, in terms of video cards, which is better, the nVidia GeForce or ATI Radeon?

This is just a matter of opinion. A lot of people will tell you that you'll have issues with ATI drivers and that nVidia is the bomb. It's really up to you. I apologize that I don't have the facts. IMO, I like ATI but it's up to you. :)

if you buying a computer prebuilt you should really get it from ibuypower or cyberpower pc in my opinon

if you buying a computer prebuilt you should really get it from ibuypower or cyberpower pc in my opinon

I would, but I have a hard time trusting companies I've never heard of, especially when I'm spending that much money over the internet.

Back
Top Bottom