New board with these specs

gplpark92

BSOD
i'm looking for a new motherboard that I can still use my RAM and Video card with.

I use Dual-Channel DDR400 Ram, and I currently have an AGP video card.

I'm looking for a new motherboard that supports:
AMD Athlon X2 CPU's (dual-core)
Dual-Channel DDR400 RAM
one PCI-E 16x slot
one AGP 8x slot

i've calculated, and I have determined that this would be my cheapest upgrade from my current system.

My current system is running on a P4 HT, 3Ghz (530), with 2GB of Dual-Channel DDR400 RAM. I'm using an XFX 7600GT XXX (overclocked). i've come to realize that my CPU is severely bottlenecking the graphics performance. Am I right? And will the X2 dramatically increase my performance?

I want a new board for a dual-core CPU and future PCI-E graphics card support, but i dont wanna hafta buy a buncha new hardware and ditch all i have right now.

That dual core will make a tremendous difference!!!! Wow, hell yeah. If I were you, I would seriously dump the AGP card and get a new PCI-express video card. I'm guessing you bought that video card sometime last year right? So it's still fairly new. I don't believe there are any motherboard to this day that have both the AGP and PCI-e graphics slot. You may want to reconsider upgrading the video card too along with the motherboard.

That dual core will make a tremendous difference!!!! Wow, hell yeah. If I were you, I would seriously dump the AGP card and get a new PCI-express video card. I'm guessing you bought that video card sometime last year right? So it's still fairly new. I don't believe there are any motherboard to this day that have both the AGP and PCI-e graphics slot. You may want to reconsider upgrading the video card too along with the motherboard.

okay thank you very much. you are pretty much correct - i got this card a while back, because of its excellent reviews, but on my system, it wasnt as good as expected - and i realize its my processor. everyone who reviewed the card was using either a C2Duo or a 64 or X2

It is a good video card, but it's just too bad it uses the aging AGP interface. The PCI-express interface is faster too. I'm still using an older 7800GT, just a bump higher than what you have. It's fine and all but then again, it's a PCI-express video card.

There are a lot of great motherboards that support an Athlon X2 CPU. Also, you'll most likely use DDR2 since DDR1 is out, gone with the wind. Yeah, technology change that fast. Athlon X2 are undergoing a major overhaul right now and we won't be seeing those later this year or early next year.

How much are you planning to spend anyways?

Back
Top Bottom