New AMD A series CPUs

nbrikha

In Runtime
What's the word on the A series CPUs from AMD. With the integrated graphics controller. Is it going to be good on a laptop? Would I actually want that over an i5 on my laptop? I'm looking at a Dell Vostro 3555 with the A6-3400M. You guys think it's worth it. Feedback is going to be greatly appreciated and will return with good feedback rating.

Over an i5? Probably not, even if the i5 doesn't have discreet graphics. We've got a couple of the new A-series APUs in the office and they're fine workstation processors, but they don't have the oomph that the i5's or i7s have.

If you could get an i5 with AMD or nVidia graphics, that would be ideal. It also depends on what you want to do with the system over the lifespan. If you don't care about graphics performance, jump on the i5. If you want graphics performance and the i5 doesn't have a discreet GPU option from AMD or nVidia, get the A-series APU.

Why would I want discreet graphics...and what do you mean by that? Like, over integrated graphics?

Either an A6-3400M or an i5-2410 with GT525. The AMD is about 150 cheaper. I can see myself doing some amateur video editing. I don't believe it's going to be demanding. If I'm going to need oomph, I'd probably need it for video editing or audio editing. I wanna do basic small business stuff with it. Google docs, skype, cloud service...down the line maybe some video editing. What do ya think?

The AMD should be fine.

Sorry, the definition of discreet over integrated graphics just means this:

Integrated: Intel HD, and now AMD's graphics can be considered integrated, but for the longest time, if someone said "integrated" it was a dirty word for "Intel" ;)

Discreet: Graphics chip separate from the CPU, usually AMD/nVidia and meant for everything beyond the Intel integrated crapola.

Anymore, as long as folks say "AMD Integrated" it won't be dirty, but for those times, the abbreviation "APU" will probably be used instead.

Yeah I ordered the AMD on a Dell Vostro 3555. I went with the A6-3400 over the A8-3500. Mainly I didn't see it worth another 100 dollars and the Passmark score was actually lower on the A8 then the A6...which was weird. In any case, it'll be here in by Thursday and I will put something in here briefly about how I feel about it and then after a little while I'll do a small review of it...since there doesn't seem to be any at all on the web, though I believe the physical base for it is the 3550. My expectations are decent battery life, nice build quality, and a comfortable supply of power to sit on and use when necessary. This will be my first laptop since my Mac, ugh, which I bought almost 4 years ago now. The Mac got fried btw 6 months after I got it thanks to a glass of milk and no spill proof keyboard, which the Vostro has. :)

Back
Top Bottom