New AMD Budget Build

It would be $20 considering the 740G costs 50 plus $8 to ship and the 780G is $78 with a free shipping promo.

Well what size lcd is he using right now? He might benefit from the HD 3300 the 780G provides if hes at 1440x900+ res (smoother gui). Does he do alot of installing, copying? he will benefit from the faster HT/NB link.

Idk man the 780G is current gen and if this comp is gonna be used for +2 years it does have some upgradibilty, including a bios update for the new Phenom II Quad Cores when he wants to upgrade to a better cpu. idk i think its worth eextra $20 IMHO

Well I hate to kill the OC dreams but I just got off the phone with my friend and the machine needs to be stable as it's for his business. So that means no OC. I would have loved to but oh well. It's his call I guess.

So since we won't be OCing...shall we go with the 740G? I imagine at stock clocks there won't be much of a difference between the 740 and the 780Gs...? Thoughts...? It's going to have to be a difference worth $30, as well.

you should be fine with the 740G.... either of those boards will do you fine

It would be $20 considering the 740G costs 50 plus $8 to ship and the 780G is $78 with a free shipping promo.

Well what size lcd is he using right now? He might benefit from the HD 3300 the 780G provides if hes at 1440x900+ res (smoother gui). Does he do alot of installing, copying? he will benefit from the faster HT/NB link.

Idk man the 780G is current gen and if this comp is gonna be used for +2 years it does have some upgradibilty, including a bios update for the new Phenom II Quad Cores when he wants to upgrade to a better cpu. idk i think its worth eextra $20 IMHO

Ahh. Sorry..I completely neglected the shipping on the 740G. Well, he just runs 1024x768 res...so no biggie there...but the PII upgradeability is nice...I don't particularly like flashing BIOS's, but that's a hurdle to tackle when the time for that comes. I guess I'll see what he says. He won't be doing a lot of installing or anything like that. Just typing up documents and such. If he thinks it's worth his 20 extra buckaroos, we'll go with the 780G, if not, we'll grab the 740. In any case, thanks a bunch for the info! If it's my choice, I say the 780 is probably worth it in the long run now that you say it's PII compatible.

After looking around, maybe you should go with a different motherboard. The 740G chipset supports only HT1.0 (1GHz HyperTransport interface speeds) whereas the 7750 runs on a HT 3.0 bus which more than doubles the bandwidth.

I found a Foxconn 780v board that will be a better match for the CPU and doesn't cost a whole lot more than the Gigabyte: Foxconn A7VMX-K AM2+/AM2 AMD 780V - $59.99 ($49.99 after $10.00 Mail-In Rebate)

After looking around, maybe you should go with a different motherboard. The 740G chipset supports only HT1.0 (1GHz HyperTransport interface speeds) whereas the 7750 runs on a HT 3.0 bus which more than doubles the bandwidth.

I found a Foxconn 780v board that will be a better match for the CPU and doesn't cost a whole lot more than the Gigabyte: Foxconn A7VMX-K AM2+/AM2 AMD 780V - $59.99 ($49.99 after $10.00 Mail-In Rebate)

Thanks for the research AR. Now that you and Prod are both recommending it, I think we'll go with a 780. Now, the thing is...I don't know if he wants to mess with the rebate. If he doesn't, then it's only an 11 dollar difference between the 780V (b/c of shipping) and the 780G. Is it worth another 11 bucks to grab the "G" over the "V". I haven't a CLUE what the difference is. I heard that the V is an underclocked (?) version of the G...

the 780V is a corporate edition of the 780G, and the only difference is the IGP is the HD 3100 instead of the 780G's HD 3200. I would go for the 780V

EDIT:
The 780V also only has 2 memory slots instead of 4. But other than that its the same as the 780G

the 780V is a corporate edition of the 780G, and the only difference is the IGP is the HD 3100 instead of the 780G's HD 3200. I would go for the 780V

EDIT:
The 780V also only has 2 memory slots instead of 4. But other than that its the same as the 780G

Okay. That's the same differences I noted too. I think we'll go with the 780V then. The mem slots don't matter as it'll probably never have more than 4GB of mem anyways...and there's hardly a difference between the 3100 and 3200 series onboard...plus, no gaming anyways. So all of this sounds good. I'll order tonight most likely--with the change in CPU and MB. Thanks everyone for your input :D I would rep, but apparently I have to spread some around!

its all good man, i just try and pay back all of the help this forum gave me when i did my build :D

its all good man, i just try and pay back all of the help this forum gave me when i did my build :D

Yup. The same for me. That was two years ago, and I've tried to stay on here as often as possible. Computers just never seem to bore me. It's fun to look back and see how much you've learned...

Guys, there's nothing wrong with the 9600, it's an amazing CPU for the price.
Dont even think of getting that 9600 zac, its not a true quad, that series was a HUGE letdown, the kuma 7750 matches the 9600 in almost all benchmarks, when it comes to multi tasking the 9600 doesnt pull much ahead because of the extremely low clocks and extremely low L3 cache for 4 cores. Also you have to think the Kuma 7750 can hit 3000mhz with just a simple multiplyer change, no need to mess with vcore or watch your temps (considering you do have good case cooling)
1. Yes, it is.
2. The 7750 is half a 9600 with slightly higher clocks. The 9600 is a black edition and could be easily overclocked to the 7750's clock speed and outperform it.
3. It has the same amount of L3 and more L2 and L1. Besides, you get double the amount of cores.
4. The 9600 is also a Black Edition, and can also be easily overclocked with a multi change.

Back
Top Bottom