Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
Daemon Poster
 
ndatoxicity's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 723
Send a message via AIM to ndatoxicity Send a message via MSN to ndatoxicity Send a message via Yahoo to ndatoxicity
Default Re: New AMD Budget Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
That CPU will last you a long time. You shouldn't see any hit on multitasking performance. The nice thing is, if he needs a little more "oomph" down the road, it's easily overclockable to 3.0GHz with a simple mulitplier increase.





Goofball.

You should have said that in the first place instead of "Don't buy that crappy CPU."
whatever AR.... i see this is your thread now -.-
__________________

__________________
Laptop - Toshiba Satellite P105 | Intel Mobile C2D T7200 @ 2.0 | 2gb DDR2 667 | 120gb HD | NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS | Vista Home Premium
Desktop 1 - ASUS M3A76-CM | AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 @ 2.7 | 4gb DDR2 800 | WD 320gb 7200rpm | ATI Radeon 3000 Integrated | W7 64 Bit
Desktop 2 - ASUS M4A78 Plus | AMD Phenom II X2 550 @ 3.1 | 4gb DDR2 1066 | WD 500gb 7200rpm | EVGA GTS 250 | W7 64 Bit

http://www.youtube.com/user/ndatoxicity...http://www.last.fm/user/ndatoxicity
ndatoxicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #12
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: New AMD Budget Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
That CPU will last you a long time. You shouldn't see any hit on multitasking performance. The nice thing is, if he needs a little more "oomph" down the road, it's easily overclockable to 3.0GHz with a simple mulitplier increase.
Ahh..Well that's all I needed then. I'll go with that and save him $30. Sorry to ndatoxicity...but like AR said, I would have understood you if you would've explained more fully to begin with. Thanks guys!
__________________

__________________
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz || GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 || Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 || EVGA GeForce GTX 480 || Samsung EVO 256GB SSD
my feet get cold and that gives me diarrhea sometimes - Smart_Guy
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #13
Fully Optimized
 
Prodigy146's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,751
Send a message via AIM to Prodigy146 Send a message via MSN to Prodigy146 Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigy146
Default Re: New AMD Budget Build

First of all if your going to have this system for 4 years why would you get a 740G?? Get this instead (Dont listen to that review, hes an ass. the onboard video is real nice). The 740G only has a 1000mhz max HT link which you may not think so, will limit your performance greatly.

Dont even think of getting that 9600 zac, its not a true quad, that series was a HUGE letdown, the kuma 7750 matches the 9600 in almost all benchmarks, when it comes to multi tasking the 9600 doesnt pull much ahead because of the extremely low clocks and extremely low L3 cache for 4 cores. Also you have to think the Kuma 7750 can hit 3000mhz with just a simple multiplyer change, no need to mess with vcore or watch your temps (considering you do have good case cooling)

Go with the Kuma 7750, the phenom 9600 will be a huge disappointment
__________________
[Proc: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6ghz] [Motherboard: Asus 870 M4A87TD EVO]
[GPU: Asus 5770 Crossfire] [PSU: Corsair 650 12v53a] [Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2]
[RAM: Patriot 4GB DDR3 1600] [Case: Antec 300 Illusion] [HDD: 2x WD 640GB Raid 0]
Prodigy146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: New AMD Budget Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy146 View Post
First of all if your going to have this system for 4 years why would you get a 740G?? Get this instead (Dont listen to that review, hes an ass. the onboard video is real nice). The 740G only has a 1000mhz max HT link which you may not think so, will limit your performance greatly.

Dont even think of getting that 9600 zac, its not a true quad, that series was a HUGE letdown, the kuma 7750 matches the 9600 in almost all benchmarks, when it comes to multi tasking the 9600 doesnt pull much ahead because of the extremely low clocks and extremely low L3 cache for 4 cores. Also you have to think the Kuma 7750 can hit 3000mhz with just a simple multiplyer change, no need to mess with vcore or watch your temps (considering you do have good case cooling)

Go with the Kuma 7750, the phenom 9600 will be a huge disappointment
In a non-gay way, I love you guys on CF. Seriously. I get a full-explanation for everything when needed. I'm not an AMD guy at all (because Intel was "in" when I build my first few computers) but am very open to using them..hence this build. I would get the 780G (it's actually what I originally planned for) but I think my friend will be happier to save the extra $$...plus, I don't think he'll be OCing as we aren't getting an aftermarket cooler. If you REALLY think the 780G will be boatloads better than the 740G, let me know...but remember...no gaming or anything...it's just office-style tasks. Thanks Prod
__________________
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz || GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 || Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 || EVGA GeForce GTX 480 || Samsung EVO 256GB SSD
my feet get cold and that gives me diarrhea sometimes - Smart_Guy
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #15
Fully Optimized
 
Prodigy146's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,751
Send a message via AIM to Prodigy146 Send a message via MSN to Prodigy146 Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigy146
Default Re: New AMD Budget Build

Ok well im gonna check up some differences between 1000mhz HT and the 780G's 1800mhz HT link.. And ill see if i find some better deals on egg man

but to give you an idea its basically like intels 800mhz FSB vs 1333mhz FSB though
__________________
[Proc: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6ghz] [Motherboard: Asus 870 M4A87TD EVO]
[GPU: Asus 5770 Crossfire] [PSU: Corsair 650 12v53a] [Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2]
[RAM: Patriot 4GB DDR3 1600] [Case: Antec 300 Illusion] [HDD: 2x WD 640GB Raid 0]
Prodigy146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #16
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: New AMD Budget Build

The 780G is a nice chipset, it just really isn't needed in this case and will cost you $30 more.

With the 7750, if you do OC it a bit using the multiplier, you won't need an aftermarket cooler as you really wont see much, if any, increase in temperature.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #17
Daemon Poster
 
ndatoxicity's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 723
Send a message via AIM to ndatoxicity Send a message via MSN to ndatoxicity Send a message via Yahoo to ndatoxicity
Default Re: New AMD Budget Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
In a non-gay way, I love you guys on CF. Seriously. I get a full-explanation for everything when needed. I'm not an AMD guy at all (because Intel was "in" when I build my first few computers) but am very open to using them..hence this build. I would get the 780G (it's actually what I originally planned for) but I think my friend will be happier to save the extra $$...plus, I don't think he'll be OCing as we aren't getting an aftermarket cooler. If you REALLY think the 780G will be boatloads better than the 740G, let me know...but remember...no gaming or anything...it's just office-style tasks. Thanks Prod
heres the best part about the dual core kuma.... if you just change the multiplyer, you dont need an aftermarket cooler!

(kudos to prodigy on that tidbit of info there)
__________________
Laptop - Toshiba Satellite P105 | Intel Mobile C2D T7200 @ 2.0 | 2gb DDR2 667 | 120gb HD | NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS | Vista Home Premium
Desktop 1 - ASUS M3A76-CM | AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 @ 2.7 | 4gb DDR2 800 | WD 320gb 7200rpm | ATI Radeon 3000 Integrated | W7 64 Bit
Desktop 2 - ASUS M4A78 Plus | AMD Phenom II X2 550 @ 3.1 | 4gb DDR2 1066 | WD 500gb 7200rpm | EVGA GTS 250 | W7 64 Bit

http://www.youtube.com/user/ndatoxicity...http://www.last.fm/user/ndatoxicity
ndatoxicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #18
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: New AMD Budget Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy146 View Post
but to give you an idea its basically like intels 800mhz FSB vs 1333mhz FSB though
Ahhh. yeah...see that's the main thing I haven't learned about AMD yet..I don't really get the whole HT thing...haha. It's hard when you go from intel to AMD...

ndatoxicity: So no voltage bump!?
__________________
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz || GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 || Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 || EVGA GeForce GTX 480 || Samsung EVO 256GB SSD
my feet get cold and that gives me diarrhea sometimes - Smart_Guy
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #19
Fully Optimized
 
Prodigy146's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,751
Send a message via AIM to Prodigy146 Send a message via MSN to Prodigy146 Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigy146
Default Re: New AMD Budget Build

Well i've spent weeks overclocking my Kuma and at 3000mhz (15x multi) i didnt need to touch vcore or anything else. 61C stock prime95 9 hour avg temps. At 3300mhz i need a huge amount of vcore though, 1.50vcore 48C scythe cooler prime95 14 hour avg temp.

If you want to get 3000mhz without a vcore jump and to be completely stable you need the 780G. 78 - 58 = $20. The 780G is completely worth it with a current gen IGP, HT link @ 1.8mhz, More stable, 4 Memory Slots, and Alot more overclocking options.
__________________
[Proc: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6ghz] [Motherboard: Asus 870 M4A87TD EVO]
[GPU: Asus 5770 Crossfire] [PSU: Corsair 650 12v53a] [Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2]
[RAM: Patriot 4GB DDR3 1600] [Case: Antec 300 Illusion] [HDD: 2x WD 640GB Raid 0]
Prodigy146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #20
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: New AMD Budget Build

Well I hate to kill the OC dreams but I just got off the phone with my friend and the machine needs to be stable as it's for his business. So that means no OC. I would have loved to but oh well. It's his call I guess.

So since we won't be OCing...shall we go with the 740G? I imagine at stock clocks there won't be much of a difference between the 740 and the 780Gs...? Thoughts...? It's going to have to be a difference worth $30, as well.
__________________

__________________
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz || GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 || Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 || EVGA GeForce GTX 480 || Samsung EVO 256GB SSD
my feet get cold and that gives me diarrhea sometimes - Smart_Guy
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0