New adapter can't connect to router...

I've got good news and bad news...

Good news: I finally got the adapter to connect to the router

Bad news: It can't stay connected!

It'll stay connected for about a half an hour, and then it'll suddenly lose the connection. I configured it to not shut off to save power, but it still happens. Then when I try to reconnect, it can't find the network once again.

It can only reconnect when I've restarted the entire computer. What could be causing this?

Ok, after disabling XP's wireless zero configuration utility, I discarded my Linksys and I tried installing my old Netgear MA111 adapter without any problems this time. But the thing just scans and scans without picking up any signal from the router, so I guess I have to configure the thing manually without wireless zero configuration.

Does anyone know where i do that? I can't find anything now regarding network keys, IP addresses and things like that.

Ok, so I searched, and found a new driver for the adapter, one that it said would work with XP better. But here were the download and use instructions:

1. Download the file below to a convenient place such as the desktop.
2. Unzip the file to a convenient folder.
3. Open the folder. DO NOT click the Setup.exe file here!
4. Open the Utility folder, and click the setup.exe file there.
5. Follow the instructions to complete the installation.

This does not make sense. Where is this utility folder that these instructions are talking about?

Hmm...

You know when your updating firmware, you had to select where the bin file was from within the installer?
This will probably be the same thing, and they mean to run that program in the router, and select the setup file from there, like you would browse to find a file in Windows Media Player

I hope this works, and so helps

Back
Top Bottom