networking or programming?

echo1

Beta member
Hello,

Im a computer student and I got a doubt about this aspect..: The thing is my baccalaureate (sorry, don't know if i'm saying it correctly), or my major, offers many different classes related to computers in general. For example, I have about five classes that deal with networking, some have to do with repairing and building the pc, only two are about programing (C++, HTML), others are about telecomunications, etc.

Maybe you'd think: "what's wrong with this? it sounds good cause you'll learn every aspect of pcs." But my concern is: will I really learn about all this subjects deeply enough when I'm getting many different subjects of pcs??? And also, since there are so many different subjects in the major, I'll not get "speciallized" in any of them and will only know the general concepts. (Hope I'm clear enough). I already know about networking so I'd say im not learning many new things.

So I thought programing. Since programing is the "base" of computers, everything emerges from it. If I write a program, I know how it works, how it interacts with device drivers, with the kernel, etc. I would know how to build networking utilities, you should get the idea by now.

There's this baccalaureate/major in programing which includes subjects such as:logical programing, visual basic, object oriented programing, structured programing, computer mathematics, assembly language (close to machine code) computer architectures, etc.

what I need from you guys is your opinion on which aspect do you prefer, why and why not, and which one do you recommend.

Do you think is better to know networking and a little bit of everything, or you'd like to program and know the "roots" and eventually all aspects of computers?

thanks

I would take the programming course. I think the other subjects are simpler and a vast amount can be learnt simply by using the PC and troubleshooting it when it goes wrong, or post on forums and reading them. It is amazing how much you can pick up.

netwokring really easy to learn you dont need a degree in.

programming needs to be taught in depth and it is in more demad then networking is here in nashville. and also they are making server OSs easier to configure specially windows server 2003.

now with cisco routers they have thwats called the IOS Internetworking Operating System . Its very tedious and I dotn understand whay you'd need a certification just to configure a router!! its so complicated and irritating. id rather have one console to manage my network and thei exuse for one is cisco works which is very tight and locks you in really tight to any settings and it pretty much forces you to manually use the IOS to configure each router one by one. the initial purpose of cisco works was to unify net management but it dont do the best job with. I found at times it complained alot about what router was hooked up. at one time i wasnt allowed to have a 7200 with one model of Catylyst switch. when I found they were compatibible the switch was a layer 3.

networking is nice to get into its easier generally, btu when you are configging a huge IP backbone or huge WAN than it does get tricky if you dotn know how to use the tools properly.

if you are intially more confortable with networking first then go for it.

if you'd rather program and build things then go for it

Most programing jobs are being outsourced to other countries at far reduced wages. Tech jobs in the U.S. have dropped to an abysmal degree. The need for network administrators will continue as long as networks exist. From a practical job point of view I would go network. From a what is more interesting and fun to learn point of view-programing.

Just call microsoft support

Hello my name is mubeed, my english sucks but I am friendly and know very little, how can I help you.

Back
Top Bottom