Networking problems

pinky4life623

In Runtime
Networking problems..come o u guys never help me!

i have my dads computer and another computer pluged in to one linksys router and when I try to set up a home/office connection...yes i went and made a network disc for the other computer...but it doesnt work! all i want to do is have them share a printer

please help!
thanks

and all it does in the lexmark program saying "problem communicating with printer" and in a sec. the printer is gunna go threw the window..

o yea and it is pluged into the other computer..and its logged on and everything

Lexmark are sometimes problematic. Is your computer hooked on the local printer is set to be shared and well configured?

XP Home doesn't give you all the networking things, but I shouldn't see a problem here

I would delete the printer off of the PC you are trying to get the network printer working to. As long as you know that you can go on the Internet from both computers over the network, it should be ok. You don't need a network disk or anything like that.

Go back to the Control Panel and go to Network Connections. On the left side, select Setup a Home or small Office network and follow the wizard. You should automatically have activity after that. If you have a firewall in place, disable it or reconfigure the firewall to accept the other PC's IP.

To install the network printer, go to the computer that you want to install the printer on. Do the usual: Control Panel, Add Printer. This time, you want to add a network printer instead of a local printer. There will be a list of printers that show up that are available over the network for you to choose from. Install that Lexmark or whatever printer you are using and it will copy the drivers and install it on your computer. Make it the default printer and that should be it.

With my current setup, my PC has to be on for me to use the network stuff. It's like Im' working on a server and everything goes through this PC I am using. Just a note of that, yours might be like that too.

Back
Top Bottom