Networking

althania

Beta member
I was wondering if I should go wireless or ethernet. I have a $200 budget and I hear ethernet is the way to go for better performance and reliability. I will be networking 2 computers, 1 downstairs and 1 upstairs.
Please only post if you have networked computers or have experience in networked/networking computers.

Your home network choice is entierly up to you, and the setup you go with depends on you as well.
My home network is cabled,
the downside is cables are trailing all over the house, -I've put cables in the walls, but am just waiting to finish the job,
You wireless network looks good and is setup instantly, there are no wires, and you can put your PC wherever you like (you're not limited to where you put the network point).
The downside is, if you live in a particuarly thick walled house you may require extra base station equipment, or if there is a lot of inteferance you *may* drop a packet every now and then.

Certainly, if I had a $200 excess of money, I'd go with a good wireless solution, at least then I'm not limited if I get a new computer, or if I get a PDA I wont HAVE to have it connected to a computer.

Some PDA phones already have WIFI built in, wireless setups (IMHO) are definitly the wa of the future.

I think that you should go for wireless , simplyly because of the gap between up and downstairs . If ya need to ask any questions just go for it ?

If your going to be transfering a lot of information between the two machines (large files), Wired is much faster, if not wireless is the one to go for.

Back
Top Bottom