Networking :)

David-Brand

In Runtime
Hey, im looking to network 2 computers in my house, would i have to buy a router for this, or could i just use a hub or switch?. I have already asked at several pc shops, and they all gave me diffewrent answers.

Thanks
David Brand

I have tried that too, I didn't get it done because my hub was crap and I had to send it back - but it wouild have worked otherwise.

I would buy a Hub; from there you can just plug in the computers, and if you need any help the makers of the hub will generally be pleased to help you

so, just a hub. u sure that would do it?.
anybody here in the uk done this?, with ntl cable modem?

Thanks
David Brand

Are you looking to share the internet? You can either do it with a router or use internet connection sharing in XP. I have done it with the set top box!

You should be able to do this easily, if both of your PC's have a network card. Simply connect the 2 PC's with a piece of CAT5 network crossover cable and then setup the network connection using the network connection wizard.

Once you have done that go into the properties of your net connection and enable sharing for that connection.

In theory it should be that easy.

Yeah, i already thought of a crossover, but it means one comp always has 2 be on. and thats just not practical for me.

Thnx
David Brand

ok then lol, ill just get a router, can anybody recommend anything that would do the job, and be VERY CHEAP.

thnx
David Brand

Back
Top Bottom