Network Security

BlackRook

Solid State Member
I'm looking for a network security solution for my office. I have a small building with 5 low-end computers networked on a Dlink DI-704UP Router. Computers are either using Win98 or Win2000.

Viruses are very widespread and very effective recently, and i'm concerned about a virus getting past my ZoneAlarm and Norton AntiVirus.

Is there anything i can do to prevent a virus from spreading from one computer to another within my network? Can i set up a filter or firewall on the router to block network traffic from one IP to another? I'm fairly new to the advanced side of networking and i really need some assistance here. if you know much about Dlink routers i'd love a hand.

also, how do you use the following:
DHCP
(under Advanced in router management)
Virtual Server
Application
Filter
Firewall
SNPT
DDNS
Routing
DMZ .. i know this one

Help is much appreciated!

BlackRook

I'm just warning you that Win98 and Win2000 are both very unsecure, because Microsoft pretty much doesn't care about them anymore. We need a bit more information.. Do you have a hardware firewall? Do you have the regular windows firewall on high alert? (Accualy i'm not sure about firewalls in those OS's, I use Linux and XP) . And what version of Norton do you have? I personally don't trust Norton and their software, but I'm sure there are people who could assist you with that. As far as the filter, I don't think the 98/2000 firewall is advanced enough to do that. XP can, but for those, your best bet is to download a software one.

Back
Top Bottom