Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-12-2005, 11:05 AM   #1
Solid State Member
Send a message via MSN to BlackRook
Default Network Security

I'm looking for a network security solution for my office. I have a small building with 5 low-end computers networked on a Dlink DI-704UP Router. Computers are either using Win98 or Win2000.

Viruses are very widespread and very effective recently, and i'm concerned about a virus getting past my ZoneAlarm and Norton AntiVirus.

Is there anything i can do to prevent a virus from spreading from one computer to another within my network? Can i set up a filter or firewall on the router to block network traffic from one IP to another? I'm fairly new to the advanced side of networking and i really need some assistance here. if you know much about Dlink routers i'd love a hand.

also, how do you use the following:
(under Advanced in router management)
Virtual Server
DMZ .. i know this one

Help is much appreciated!

BlackRook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Send a message via AIM to rakedog
Default Re: Network Security

I'm just warning you that Win98 and Win2000 are both very unsecure, because Microsoft pretty much doesn't care about them anymore. We need a bit more information.. Do you have a hardware firewall? Do you have the regular windows firewall on high alert? (Accualy i'm not sure about firewalls in those OS's, I use Linux and XP) . And what version of Norton do you have? I personally don't trust Norton and their software, but I'm sure there are people who could assist you with that. As far as the filter, I don't think the 98/2000 firewall is advanced enough to do that. XP can, but for those, your best bet is to download a software one.
hackthissite.org (criticalsecurity.net) | gentoo.org

The best argument against evolution are creationists themselves. They prove that life is devolving rather than evolving.
rakedog is offline   Reply With Quote