network question.

wozelbeak

Daemon Poster
hi, im still having trouble getting my printer to work from my second p.c.
i ran the network set up wizard on both p.cs. they both run through a router(not wireless).
my question is this, do i have to install the software that came with the printer on the p.c that is networked to it?
woz

Nope, that network setup is not very good really. Go to the PC where the printer is working, find the printer, right click, sharing and security, then share it to the network, go to the second PC>My network places> should be there. You might have to find the printer once more if you want to print, just browse, network places, find it, job done. Not amazing explantation, tel me if you want more detail.

there is no option to "share it to the network". the only option is to share which is allowed.
i will try again later on.
woz

btw, the printer and the computer it's attached to have to be turned on for it to see the printer. then if you go to the second computer and go to the printer control panel and click "add a printer" there will be an option right at first to click either local printer or a network printer, click the network printer option and just follow the steps.

firewalls are a big issue in home networking. If you have a router shut down all your firewalls on each computer then try it once its working turn them back on.
thats what i did to get all my networking and network printers to work on all 3 of my computers.

ok, so i have tried all ways to set up this network and failed!
i think i do need to turn off my fire wall while i try to connect the printer.
what do you think.
woz

yeah, you should try turning off the windows firewall on all your computers, your router has a firewall right? turn that on instead, hardware firewalls rock.

will do.
my son is playing on it at the moment.
so i guess i will have to do it later.
woz

Good luck, it should work like that, make sure the printer is working fine first, bet you already have.

i'm sure
When I got my laptop
I spend 2 days and no luck.
I turned of firewalls on each computer - leaving the router on
then everything suddenly worked! I switched them all back on and it works fineeee

Back
Top Bottom