Network discovery issues...

MaltiK

Solid State Member
I have always had a problem with this computer locating other computers on the LAN. Other computers can see my computer just fine, as well as my shared files. However, if I want to print from a LAN printer, or save to a shared HDD on the network, I am unable to even view said printer or folder.

I, and all computers in my LAN are running XP Prof.

I have had this same problem with this computer running vista (dual boot)

What type of network do you have? Wired or wireless? If it is wired i would try a different Ethernet cable. If you have the same problems after trying a new ethernet cable, then check your NIC. try pinging the router and see where the problem lies whether getting out of the computer or coming into the computer. Also check your router to see if maybe the port is bad or if it is configured right.

What type of network do you have? Wired or wireless? If it is wired i would try a different Ethernet cable. If you have the same problems after trying a new ethernet cable, then check your NIC. try pinging the router and see where the problem lies whether getting out of the computer or coming into the computer. Also check your router to see if maybe the port is bad or if it is configured right.

It is wired.
The ethernet cord being the problem doesnt make any sense to me... how could a specific wire enable me to go on the internet completely fine, but not do one specific task?
My Network Card is fine
Well I am the only computer connected to a different router, however that one is set as a switch and DHCP is off, so it doesn't conflict at all.
And the router port doesn't make sense either.

If I use some kind of network sniffer, I am able to successfully view other computer's MAC and IP addresses on my network, so them talking isnt an issue, I think it could be my configurations with UPNP, sharing, etc.

OK sorry misunderstood you, before I suggest checking the firewall Is your printer a network printer or connected through another computer

OK sorry misunderstood you, before I suggest checking the firewall Is your printer a network printer or connected through another computer

I turned firewall off for both of the computers.

I think I might have said it but other computers on the network have no problem locating this printer and printing remotely.
The printer is connected via USB to a computer on the LAN, it set to sharing as is all the computers on the network.

Back
Top Bottom