Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Netbook

looking to get a netbook, just for basic tasks, Facebook, email, music ect. no gaming, no cup intensive things and such. was looking at 2 different ones, one with xp and one with OEM copy of 7 Home Premium, NOT 7 STARTER!
any thoughts are accepted!

whitie III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
Golden Master
Send a message via Skype™ to BK_123
Default Re: Netbook

Why not take a look at a refurbished laptop from newegg which are very cheap and would do just what you want Newegg.com - PCs & Laptops, Laptops / Notebooks, All Laptops / Notebooks, Refurbished..

See all my PC spec's here https://bit.ly/1lWAJhz
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

I've always been curious why people are so against Win 7 Starter? We have 6 netbooks in our family, 2 run XP, 1 runs Win 7 Pro, another runs Win 7 Home Premium, 1 runs Win 8.1 and one runs Win 7 Starter. The Win 7 Starter machine is perfectly capable of doing all the things the OP described wanting to do with a netbook and the only limitation we encountered was the inability to change the desktop background. That limitation can be circumvented by a 3rd party program.

The things I would be looking at, when shopping for a netbook, would be which CPU it uses, how much RAM it comes with what is the max RAM that can be installed and how much disk storage space it has.

The suggestion of getting a refurbed laptop is a good one but a netbook is lighter and more portable and may offer longer battery runtime. I use a netbook in my RV when I travel and my kids stuff them in their backpacks to carry to their college classes.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
The Candy Man

Another option is to check out your local pawn shop. you could get a real decent laptop from them & then just do a full system restore using the computers restore partition.

I picked up 2 laptops from my local pawn shop and they haven't let me down. To look at the specs of the laptop just right click my computer and click on properties.
" Let the music move you "
~mr mixx~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Baseband Member

the Hp mini 110 i had before i got another computer (should have kept it!) came with 7 starter, but i upgraded it to 7 home premium.... computer was capable of running it perrfectly! Just that for the cheap price, it had to come with starter.
whitie III is offline   Reply With Quote