In need of WIRELESS routing and adaption help

Half Evil

Golden Master
Let me keep this as simple as possible..

My girlfriend fights all the time with her brother, and the PUD is being retarted by not sticking a wireless router in their house when they get fiber today. And the only high speed conncetion in the house will be in her brothers room. Thats no bueno. Thus why I need wireless crap to get it outta his room...

She is getting a new computer soon, so I gotta get this figured out soon, and hontesly I dont know the first thing to wireless...

Ive gotten a few links together

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirelessrouters/tp/80211ghome.htm
http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/laptopaccessories/tp/usbwifiadapters.htm

But still researching.

So can someone hook me up with a good router on a budget, and a USB wireless adapter prefered, but I dont know what can and cant go into the computer but if needed im sure we could make a PCI card work too....

Edit-
Forgot to mention this is for Fiber and her college classes. So it has to be as fast as possible when wireless because she is doing those live video conferences and such..

If it was me personally, id go for a d-link brand, its the only brand i havent had problems with. Ive got a G604T, but its only a 54mbps connection, there are a few 108mbps connections aswell. Ive had mine for a few years now and its been faultless

Yeah, Dlink is a great brand..

What about a brand for the USB adapter? Then we can get into specifics

I would personally go for d-link for that aswell. Im just thinking along the lines of, if you get the same brand, then ya less likely to run into compatability problems between the 2 devices

Lol, I didnt know that Dlink made wireless adapters.. Shows you how much I know huh?

Umm..

Ok whats about the whole B/G/F thingies? The output of the wireless on the router, and how I make it match to the adapter? Like which is the best of them? For stability + speed.

B/G/F?? Im guessing ya on about the wireless technologies here, but i havent heard of F

I was throwing out random letters, lol

But do you have any idea about those? And which one is the one to use and such?

Well at the moment G is the standard, but there is a new one, cant remember the letter (but im on me 3rd bottle of wine) thats my excuse and im sticking to it lol. They are mainly to do with speeds etc, and they tend to be backward compatable. The main thing i would concentrate on when it comes to wireless is the security. You are totally vulnerable to people who wanna get in unless you enable the security features. I currently run WPA, but WPA2 is out now which is more secure. Worth mentioning that none of these are as secure as a wire.

Like i say, security is the main concern. Its so easy to get keys from wireless. But i cant really talk about it here :) Anything else, just ask mate :)

Back
Top Bottom