need to upgrade my old crusty mx420

yugiohstrife

In Runtime
hi guys i want to upgrade my old geforce mx420 so i can play some of the latest games that r out (not half life 2 or doom 3 though) but the 1 problem is my agp is only 2x!!!!

so does anyone know a good graphics card that is better than mx420 and will fit on a agp2x slot??

i do not want to buy a new mobo either.
ohh yeah its also gotta be kinda cheap.

You overclocked it? It didn't blow up did it?

This is all I could find on newegg.. and unfortunately.. it is a lot worse then what you have..

(Oops that link didn't work.. well go to the video card section and look up at AGP 2X).

oh i thought it said AGP 2x/4x/8x

"Jaton GeForce FX5200 128MB 64Bit AGP 2X/4X/8X TV-out Low Profile / Half Height AGP Video Card"

now im confused because if its 8x, then what does the 2x/4x/8x mean. as i said, i have no knowledge on video cards, i was just trying to help:) Sorry

so if a card is 8x, and you put it in a max 2x mobo it won't even operate, or will it operate at ridiciulously low speeds which will make spending money on a 8x unreasonable.

and for the one i posted, i just reread and what i think, and i may be wrong, it is saying is that it supports 2x/4x/8x, but operates best on 8x;

edit: but then i just checked the jaton website and it says it doesn't even operate at 2x and only 4x and 8x http://db.jaton.com/asp/search.asp?...y=&searchstr=84228-T128MA2&searchfield=itemid

Allow me to interject.
The 2X / 4X / 8X was taken from the back of the FX5200 AGP box. I would be happy to send you an image of it if you would like.
It is my understanding (as we do not remember if we tried this lately) that this and other cards like it will run in a 2X board, just not nearly like they should. It would be good to note, The cards listed at the site posted above hpcompatible.com and at this address:
http://www.computercareonline.com/index.php?cPath=49_54 (same site different domain name)
Are advertised primarily as they are Half Height or Low Profile Video Graphics cards. Both AGP and PCI even PCI-Epress. All of these cards come with both the full height ATX bracket and the Short Low profile (3 inch) brackets.

It is our understanding that yes it will function, just not as it should and not nearly as fast as it could.
We would be happy to dig out a 2X MOBO and set up a system just to test the theory, if you think anyone could benefit from that let us know and we will.
Hope that helped.
JD

I have another friend that has the same problem but yea Yugi is in New Zealand and are PCI slots better?

no it did not fry it is just dumb and can u guys please tell me some graphics cards that will work with 2x mobo and that r better than mx420!!! oh and the reason i want a new graphics card is because the direcrdraw doesnt work on my mx420 dont know wat the problem is.

Back
Top Bottom