Need some suggestions, vid card + monitor

Rippy087

Baseband Member
I built my own system completely from scratch about 3 or 4 years ago. I basically have a few questions, and I need a few suggestions for buying new parts. I use this computer mostly for gaming and the usual word processing and internet browsing. I want to update this computer so that it will work well for the next few years.

I am looking for a new Video Card, since the one I am using currently is about 5 years old, the fan completely broke off. I can't run Hitman: Blood Money on it at all, I get about 1fps. All of my other games seem to run just fine, I play WoW, Counterstrike and a few other random games. My brother told me that the best video card that I can get for my current computer is a ATI Radeon X800XT since my monitor uses a D-SUB plugin and my motherboard only supports AGP video cards. He also told me that this video card is pretty outdated and it might not be worth the 299 at the moment.
Link to the Video Card my bro was talking about: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102492

This brings me to my next question. Is it worth the 299 to spend on a video card that will soon be obsolete? Since my motherboard only supports AGP, I was thinking that I might as well buy a new mother board so that I can buy a better video card, and not need to replace it as soon. Can I replace my motherboard, keeping the same processor and other parts in my computer without losing any of my saved hardware and information?

Last part of my 3 part question. I am also looking for a LCD monitor between 19 and 21 inches. I am looking for suggestions as to what to buy. I don't really know much about monitors but I have been searching newegg and reading a lot of reviews. Many new video cards no longer support D-Sub, and my current monitor is a D-Sub. I was thinking that if I replace my mother board and my video card I will have to replace my monitor also. I am looking for a monitor that will also be able to be used as a TV in a dorm room, with hookups for ps2 and the such. I'm a noob when it comes to monitors, keep in mind I would like to use it for gaming.
Some monitors I was looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824112160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824014111

Here are the specs for my system, just took a flashlight and checked this stuff real quick, so if something doesnt look right tell me and I'll check more thoroughly.

Mother Board: Prescott 800 dual CHannel ASRock DDR400
Processor: Intell Pentium 4, somewhere between 2.8g and 3.2g, not sure since i got it replaced at a shop a few years ago.
Power Source: Antec True 430w
Monitor: NEC Multisync LCD1525V (14.5inches?)
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128M

I am looking for suggestions for a 1) Motherboard, 2) Video Card, 3) Monitor that will all be compatible. I dont want to spend more than 350 for a video card or more than 350 for a monitor, price of the motherboard doesn't really matter.

Sorry about the lengthy post :D

Reguarding the video card questions..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

That is the king of AGP. That is the best card you can buy. Err, I mean chipset.

That is better then most Pci Ex cards. Can it last a few years, yes. But it wont be by any means topping any new Pci Ex video cards. But for todays games, it will get the job done, and later games it can handle, not at max settings though.

I personally say its worth it to get Pci Ex. But with that you need new ram and processor and probably hard drive. Ugg, that would be a pain in your ass. So to keep this short, sweet and two the point, get that 7800GS and have the best AGP card that money can buy.

Can I replace my motherboard, keeping the same processor and other parts in my computer without losing any of my saved hardware and information

That depends on socket. odds are good that you wont be able to get Pci Ex, and keep the same processor, and hard drive. Although, you can easily back up your hard drive. Or have someone do it for you. Hell, id do it for free for you.

I am looking for suggestions for a 1) Motherboard, 2) Video Card, 3) Monitor that will all be compatible. I dont want to spend more than 350 for a video card or more than 350 for a monitor, price of the motherboard doesn't really matter.

Lets see, I know I didnt answer all your quetsions- Sorry, its getting late here. Motherboard, that all depends on what you want to do. 7800GS for a video card if you are going to keep your current set up, and a 7600GT if you are going to get Pci Ex. Monter just response time under 12ms.

So, we can work out the fine details later, but overall, it comes down to how much cash you want to spend, or effort you want to put in this computer.

Like I said, keep it short and sweet, and get a 7800GS, or do it lengthy and pricy, and your looking at new processor, ram, videocard, and maybe hard drive.

Tell us what you feel like doing, and when we will hook you up with everything you need to know.

Thanks for the quick responses. My primary concern right now is the video card, but I want my system to last me through college, and I doubt I will be upgrading it at all while I'm gone. Just to make sure I understand you completely, you're saying that if I replace my motherboard, there is a good chance I would have to replace my RAM, Processor, and Hard drives?

Thanks,
Jake

hard drives. can be reused and so can the ram. you may have difficulty keeping the same processor though, unless you find out the socket number and get a mobo accordingly. as for the videocard, if you want to 'futureproof' i would do what john said and wait for dx10 cards to come out

K i guess I'll wait for the dx10 cards to come out, any estimate on when they should come out and what the costs will be. Also, will they be agp compatible? I guess I might just buy a new monitor while I wait for this new stuff to come out, any suggestions on 19-21 inch LCDs in price not higher than 400ish?

Thanks,
Jake

Back
Top Bottom