Need some help with XP bootup

Dot Cong

In Runtime
I'm not sure if this has to do with the most recent update or what. My boss's Dell runs XP Pro and it boots up normal until the login screen. When he logs in it can anywhere from 30 secs and up. It seems to run better when not plugged into the network. Also every time he turns off it gives the option to install and update, even if he clicks to install.

What in the world is going on? Anything would be helpful as this computer is the head computer on our network and customer database.

Those don't seem to really cover my problem. I was wrong about the OS though, it is Home not Pro. As for the issue, I'm beginning to believe that it has something to do with rundll32.exe because SpyBot keeps popping up about it. This problem is keeping him from using his computer pretty much altogether. I don't know if that helps or not. Thanks for the reply though.

Edit: I just restarted his PC and these popped up. First is a Data Execution Prevention for WMI. The second is an error message that reads, "Error in C:\Documents and Settings\russ\Application Data\Macromedia\Common\fa08a04a1.dll Missing Entry:" We really need to get this fixed so I hope this helps with the diagnosis.

Edit2: Also System Recovery doesn't work. We go through the process to the last screen and click Next and nothing happens, it just sits there.

Can you boot into safe mode and see if you can uninstall the latest updates he did before this started? You could also look to see if the macromedia flash installer is there and reinstall it.

If all else fails, you could try doing a repair install. It will "restore" XP to it's original state while leaving all his files and programs intact. He will just need to reinstall all drivers, updates, and service packs. This will show you how: XP Repair Install

Ok thanks we'll give that a try and see if it helps. I'll be letting you know if it doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom