Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-20-2004, 10:44 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Need some help Please

I deleted my antivirus that my ISP provided as it was not strong enough. ( I have two viruses lurking but I cannot remove them). I purchased McAfee Internet Security Suite 2004 ver 6.0. Installed it. When I could not get on the Internet, I called my ISP Time Warner Cable. They told me that McAfee's firewall was blocking me from the Internet and that I should call Dell. I contacted Dell, they walked me through deleting some checked marked files. I went to
"msconfig" and disabled all the checked boxes. That was the only way I could get on the internet. Seem strange for me to keep doing this. What is wrong and what should I do? My desktop icons are not working properly. i.e. email is not like it use to be. Word, WordPerfect all comes up with a parameter message. Any advice would be appreciated. Since I am a fem, I am a lil computer savvy and can follow instruction well. OF if you think your instructions might help I can contact the proper source, i.e. Dell, McAfee, or my ISP.. Please let me know as soon as possible. I have WinXP A Dell 4550.

Blair Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:02 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Need some help Please

They've basically told you to stop starting up any programs. This is aphalling advice.

Personally I would backup only very precious data and delete everything on your hard drive (format), and reinstall windows. I wrote a guide to doing this here http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=3187

Although you can just go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs then find Mcafee firewall and uninstall it.
Asus A7N8X Deluxe - Rev 2.0 - Bios Ver. 1007
AMD Athlon XP-M 2200+ - @ 11x188 = 2Ghz (1.75Vcore)
ATi Radeon 9700 Pro (Almost as good as my old 5950U!)
Corsair 512MB XMS TwinX Low Latency DDR 400 - @ 188Mhz
3dmark03 Score: 5086
CoMpUtaFrEek is offline   Reply With Quote